This Page

has been moved to new address

Retracting my forgiveness for the Chicks

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Retracting my forgiveness for the Chicks

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Retracting my forgiveness for the Chicks

A few months ago I flirted with the idea of forgiving the Dixie Chicks.

However, I'm going the way of Natalie Maines, who took back her apology for her remarks about President Bush. I'm retracting any hint of an idea that what she said was okay.

Here's why:
"A lot of artists cashed in on being against what we said or what we stood for because that was promoting their career, which was a horrible thing to do," says Robison.

"A lot of pandering started going on, and you'd see soldiers and the American flag in every video. It became a sickening display of ultra-patriotism."

"The entire country may disagree with me, but I don't understand the necessity for patriotism," Maines resumes, through gritted teeth. "Why do you have to be a patriot? About what? This land is our land? Why? You can like where you live and like your life, but as for loving the whole country… I don't see why people care about patriotism."
Earth to the Chicks: waving the American flag is NOT a promotion of one's career.

May the United Kingdom welcome them with open arms.

Good grief.

H/T: Owen.

9 Comments:

Blogger Keithslady declared,

I happened to see an article on Natalie Maine while waiting in a doctor's office recently. I chuckled at a comment someone offered about her, "Natalie Maine was born middle finger first." There's a reputation for you.

6/17/2006 11:25 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

Maybe they should move and call themselves the Francie Chicks. Can't be soon enough for me.

6/18/2006 1:10 AM  
Blogger freethoughtguy declared,

You say nothing at all about their music ... what do you think of the country-pop feel of "Taking The Long Way?"

6/18/2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Honestly, I never did like their music. I do like "Traveling Soldier" and can sometimes tolerate "Goodbye Earl" (both songs are in my Windows Media Player).

I can appreciate their music, though I usually don't anyway; I don't have to appreciate their political message.

6/18/2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger Chris declared,

You had to love the news they had to cancel large parts of thier US tour let them go sell records in Canada and Europe I for one have not missed them these last three years.

6/19/2006 12:14 AM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

I didn't know Kirk Cameron had a blog..."freethinker", c'mon, you're Kirk Cameron!

6/19/2006 10:07 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

Or maybe Willie Aames...

6/20/2006 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Joey, "Traveling Soilder" is my favorite song by them, but they still make me wanna puke.

6/20/2006 8:54 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Very nice play-by-play Steven.

6/20/2006 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home