This Page

has been moved to new address

I'll forgive the Chicks

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: I'll forgive the Chicks

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I'll forgive the Chicks

The Dixie Chicks have been unofficially banned from country music. There are only a few markets who have continued playing them - Minneapolis is one of them - and only six major markets playing their new single, "Not Ready to Make Nice."

After the resentment a few years ago when the Chicks' lead singer, Natalie Maines, said, "I'm ashamed President Bush is from Texas," I never thought I'd say this.

We've gone way too far with this whole thing.

Here's why I say that. Imagine that Russ Feingold becomes the President. And let's say that 5 years from now, I'm a big celebrity. If 55% of the United States and 65% of the world doesn't like Feingold, and I don't like him either, it would be really, really easy for me to get up in front of a crowd in London and say, "I'm ashamed that Russ Feingold is from Wisconsin."

I don't think celebrities should use their platform like they do, and I still don't like what the Chicks said. But then, I never did care for their music anyway.

The fact is, they have an opinion, and Natalie made the poor decision to say what she said. We all make poor decisions like that.

I'm not willing to throw a stone at the Dixie Chicks when the truth is, I probably would have said the same thing about a leader I didn't like.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Politics stop at the waters edge. There is a reason they call it a "bedrock" principle. You never heard any of us vets bitchin about Clinton to the foreign press even though a good 70% that I knew cocidered him an oxygen thief, and we were not at war.

4/05/2006 10:11 PM  
Blogger Mark declared,

I never really had any interest in the Chicks. I mean, their music basically sucks, imo, and I like country. The main thing I can say about them, is "When spoutin' off your mouth you've got to either be sure your base agrees with you or have enough talent to make sure they don't care." They did neither.

4/05/2006 10:27 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I agree with David. What they said was wrong. But again, I can't say that I wouldn't have said the same thing had the situation been reversed. When you're passionate about something - and with me, that's politics - it's hard not to express what you think. As stupid as Natalie Maines' decision was, it was just that: a stupid decision. A REALLY stupid decision. But put in that situation, where cameras are on you day in and day out, I think any one of us would slip up like that.

Maybe not.

4/06/2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger Chris declared,

She knew what she was doing as Dennis Miller said

"Gee bad mouthing your President in a time of war in a foreign country is a bad thing. When a large part of your fan base is the NASCAR Crowd"

They made their bed let them lie in it.

What have then done since then an benefit shows for troops or the USO?

Even Bono who is a bit of a Moonbat went out of his way to dedicate a song to "everyone here who has someone serving over there" at thier show in Chicago.

4/07/2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

honestly, I think it would be obnoxious for them to do a show for the troops or USO. everyone knows the Chicks' politics now, especially after helping John Kerry. to try to pull a "we support the troops" - as much as they may mean it - would irritate the country music base too much.

might work for pop or even alternative/rock music, but not country.

as many of you have said - and I completely agree - what they said was stupid, especially considering their fan base. but again, I still think that any one of us would have likely said the same thing if the roles were reversed.

the Chicks should look to Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. McGraw is considered to be a leading candidate for Tennessee statewide politics in the future, and he says he'll run once his kids grow up. But his only criticism of the President has been over the handling of Hurricane Katrina. the country music base is in the south, and many of them were irked over the handling of Katrina - regardless of whose fault it is.

I don't agree with McGraw, but I appreciate the fact that he hasn't used his star power to rant. He's been respectful, and has only answered questions in interviews when asked.

4/07/2006 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/09/2006 3:20 PM  
Blogger Scott Mehring declared,

Actually, I completely disagree with you on this one. If I actually got emotional about moonbats' opinions, I would be irate when I see bumper stickers that say "Not MY President." I don't care if Dennis Rodman gets elected president, IF he were infact the leader of the American people, I, being an American, would accept the fact that he is my president.

When you violate the bedrock priciple,you only make your country look weak and yourself foolish.

4/11/2006 10:43 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Scott, I'd accept Dennis Rodman as president, in the way you're saying it anyway, as well. However, I'd still be very ashamed that he was my president.

4/11/2006 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home