This Page

has been moved to new address

San Francisco: loony since 1976

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: San Francisco: loony since 1976

Saturday, June 17, 2006

San Francisco: loony since 1976

I read this story about a pet cemetery being dug up because the lease on the lot was up because I was intrigued by anyone who would want to actually pay for a grave for their pet. I don't hate animals but, um, a cemetery for pets? I find it very strange.

However, the solution to these pet owners' (or should I say, former pet owners') problem was pretty predictable.
Frantic pet owners recently staged a rally at the cemetery, and they are exploring legal options to stop the exhumations, said Cathryn Hrudicka, whose buried her dog Poquito at Pet's Rest.
Protesting and suing. The primary tools used by liberals! (And let's face it: what self-respecting conservative a) buries their pet in a pet cemetery b) protests and c) sues every time they don't get their way?)

On top of that, who knew there were psychologists who dealt with pet loss?
Grief counselors who deal with pet loss say mourning a pet is as natural as mourning a person.
I'm not shocked, but I'm rudely awakened to the fact that the world I live in is drastically different than the world in which many other Americans live.

4 Comments:

Blogger kristi noser declared,

Cremate 'em and put 'em in a rock.

6/18/2006 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Joey – I gather from your comments that you have no pets or children. I must say your remarks are very crass and insensitive. There is nothing strange about a cemetery for pets and there are plenty of self-respecting conservatives (I being one) that chose to bury their pet(s) there. If a person has the desire and resources, what do you care what they do with their pets remains?

The families at Pets Rest were defrauded. If that happened to you, I am sure you would exercise your legal rights, conservative or not.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but do not cast judgment on other people’s bond with their animal companions, their choice to memorialize them as they choose and/or their right to defend themselves legally.

6/18/2006 11:06 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Dear anonymous conservative from Los Angeles (or is that an oxymoron? but I digress...),

I said that I find the cemetery very strange. I didn't criticize people for burying pets. I just find it strange.

On top of that, I ended by admitting that I live in a different world than others (including, obviously, you). If you think it's horrible for me to point out things I find odd about your culture, criticize me away. Afterall, your criticism is simply you expressing your difference with my culture.

6/18/2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

I don't think you are crass or insensitive, but that person doesn't know you and how you lay it all on the table, but also respect others' opinions, so there. But I do agree with the statement of people grieving pets the same as they would a death in the family. I never thought I would, but I did. Then we had him cremated and put in a rock.

6/19/2006 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home