This Page

has been moved to new address

Authentically black?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Authentically black?

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Authentically black?

I was reading an article on how tough it is to be black and found a quote that...well, it puzzled me.
"Most black men are able to shift from a sort of relaxed, authentically black pose into a respectable black man pose. Either they develop the dexterity to move back and forth or ultimately they flounder."
Authentically black? I didn't know races had certain poses that were more authentic than others. But then, maybe that's because I'm authentically white, making me authentically racist in my perspective, right?

(Oh, and that quote came from a political scientist at the University of Chicago. Explains a lot....)

3 Comments:

Blogger kristi noser declared,

Is he saying that if you're being authentically black, you're not respectible, or being respectiblly black is not authentic?

7/03/2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

If you ask me, she's saying that to be "authentically black" is to have a certain pose that apparently isn't considered respectable. So yeah, I think she's saying that "authentically black" and "respectable black" are two separate poses. Which I suppose would infer that an authentic black is not respectable?

Whatever, the whole thing is just confusing and stupid. To infer that an entire race has a certain authentic pose is ridiculous and is really just borderline racism.

7/03/2006 4:33 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

Sorry, she.

And then when we, as racist white people mention that they are saying something stupid, it must mean we hate them because they are black.

7/03/2006 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home