This Page

has been moved to new address

How impersonal have we become?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: How impersonal have we become?

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

How impersonal have we become?

Or are we not so much impersonal, but we simply use alternative means of communication?

I just upgraded my cell phone service online. I never spoke with a live human, though I did call a number with a voice recording.

I just finished a two-hour conversation with a friend on instant message. During that conversation I fielded no less than eight phone calls from at least three different people, all work-related. My friend was low on cell minutes, so we just stuck with the IM conversation.

What is this culture doing to us? My grandpa was ragging on me this weekend for not being able to figure out my microphone and webcam (neither of which actually belong to me) because he wanted to talk to me on this thing called Skype.

When your grandfather is more technologically advanced than you are, you know the world is coming to an end soon.

So, while we try to figure out how to communicate with one another without saying a word - we'll just read each other's minds one day - you all can debate how the world is going to end.

I for one have been up for over 37 hours. I'm going to bed. (By myself with no computer nearby. But if you want to text me, it's available to you.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Grandpa on Skype - sweet!

Now get some sleep! I have four kids and get more sleep than you.

6/29/2006 5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

2 hours more like 4 YIKES!!!!! hahahahaha:) if I keep that up I'll for surely have to get long distance again on the home or upgrade my minutes on my cell, either way it's more money.

6/29/2006 4:51 PM  
Blogger Mark declared,

I use Skype for VOID so if you want help I might be able to assist you. It's pretty cool when you want to conference calls...and it's free to do so.

As for being impersonal...I would have to say as close as we are getting with the assistance of technology we're definitely getting more personal. If you have any doubts watch a line in a grocery store. Ten years ago when I was a cashier there wasn't a whole lot of friendly chit-chat (unlike what's represented on t.v.), but I was still treated like a person. Now, there's quite a few customers who barely acknowledge the existence of the cashier...they're too busy talking on their cell phone and messing with their personal organizer to realize there's a person standing right in front of them trying to do his/her job. The only time they seem to notice the existence of the person serving them is if something goes wrong and it's never pretty when that happens.

6/29/2006 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home