This Page

has been moved to new address

Dads: babysitting or watching your kids?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Dads: babysitting or watching your kids?

Friday, October 08, 2010

Dads: babysitting or watching your kids?

I've caught myself - and had a few other people catch me - using the term "babysitting" when referring to watching my kids without my wife around.

For some reason, "babysitting" is just the vernacular that comes to mind by default for me when I'm watching my kids alone. Of course, being their dad, I'm told, "It's not babysitting when they're your kids!"

It's true. When the kids are yours, can you really call it babysitting? But when you don't normally watch them on your own, what else do you call it? "Watching the kids?" For Jamie, it's just everyday life, but for me, it's not a typical evening. When someone asks, "What are you doing tonight" I don't respond, "Just being a dad, as usual."

So, any suggestions for me? What do you call it?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger watchman146 declared,

Watching the Kids

or...

Doing Woman Work (j/k!)

10/08/2010 8:06 AM  
Anonymous Bill Roehl declared,

Whatever. Depending on what definition you choose from what dictionary you look at you are going to find that it's possible to mean both:

If used without an object: "caring for (a) child(ren) while the parents are away," or if used with an object: "to take watchful responsibility for or tend."

So based on that definition as long as I say, "I'm babysitting The Rooster tonight," I'm ok by official definition. Thankfully my wife isn't as anal as some of the mothers which have jumped on me for my dictionary proper use of the word but improper, in their head, use of the word.

At end of the day we can't win.

10/08/2010 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home