This Page

has been moved to new address

What are your reasons for running for public office?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: What are your reasons for running for public office?

Friday, August 13, 2010

What are your reasons for running for public office?

Whatever they are, I have to think you could articulate them better than Ben Quayle has.

Quayle is the son of former Vice President Dan Quayle. His recently-released campaign ad doesn't give a single compelling reason to vote for him.



If you don't want to watch the ad, you can read it:
Barack Obama is the worst president in history. My generation will inherit a weakened country. Drug cartels in Mexico, tax cartels in DC...what's happened to America? I love Arizona. I was raised right. Somebody has to go to Washington and knock the hell out of the place. My name is Ben Quayle and I approve this message.
Seriously, could somebody please tell me how this constitutes as helpful and constructive political discourse? If you watched this and it made you want to vote for Ben Quayle, what convinced you?

7 Comments:

Anonymous packerfan declared,

I agree with him.

8/19/2010 6:49 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Agreeing with him is one thing. Thinking he provides a reason to vote for him is another.

He's clearly playing on the anti-incumbency, anti-democratic vibe this year. Maybe it'll work politically, maybe it won't. Either way, it doesn't tell me any reason why I should vote for him.

8/19/2010 8:46 PM  
Anonymous packeran declared,

His ad would make me vote for him - simply because I agree Obama is the worst president ever and any politician that will actually say that has my vote.

8/20/2010 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Jamie declared,

Packeran - One of the reasons Obama was electd was based on your voting logic: he saed what people wanted to hear. Policitians typically say what they need to say to get your vote. I would encourage you to be an informed voter who listens to more than just the comments that are meant to get your attention.

8/21/2010 12:29 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I agree, packerfan, Obama is creating a mess, but I think it's too early to slap the "worst president" label on him. We've had some really, really bad ones, like Carter and Hoover, and I think it'll take some time to know if Obama ranks with them.

I think Obama will lose on the issues and pot-shots like "worst president ever," similar to what was thrown at Bush, won't be helpful in my opinion.

8/21/2010 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Tim declared,

"Worst president ever" is subjective, of course, but I'm going to assume anyone who refers to Obama that way has never cracked open a history book and read about Jackson, Buchanan, Hoover (though I think he gets too much of the blame), and others.

I think he could be doing a lot better, sure, and I've questioned some of his policy choices. But he inherited quite a bit of a mess from his predecessor and the Republicans aren't actually offering any viable policy alternatives right now either, instead focusing on things like the mosque in NYC, blocking gay marriage, or throwing out the 14th Amendment rather than working on fixing the economy or other major problems.

8/21/2010 12:29 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Tim, I couldn't have put it better. As a history major who focused on American history, we have plenty of awful examples to choose from. Additionally, your points about the mess the Republicans created and their total inability to offer any viable solutions are right on.

8/21/2010 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home