This Page

has been moved to new address

John McCain's speech

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: John McCain's speech

Thursday, September 04, 2008

John McCain's speech

The part of the video with "John McCain is" followed by McCain's mom interjecting "Mama's boy" was great. He loves to use his mother to convince people he isn't as old as he seems, and it was just funny.

WOW!! McCain just walked out and you just can't help but feel like you're part of something big. I suppose that's just the nature of events like this, but it's still pretty cool.

A few protesters have proven very effective at disrupting the speech. The chants of "USA" are obviously intended to drown out the protesters.

I can just see the "We lost their trust" line being used by the Obama campaign in an ad and campaign speeches against McCain. The point is good and needs to be made, but I have a feeling it will be spun against him.

I'm not sure how effective the compare/contrast "I will.../My opponent will..." really is. It just seems a little too political, partisan, and over-simplified for a speech essentially meant to attract the undecided voters.

Choice in education is great, but I'm not sure how it relates to the federal government. It shouldn't relate to the federal government. I don't like this portion of the speech at all. Yes, it all sounds good, but much of what he discussed isn't handled by the federal government and it shouldn't be.

"I have that record and the scars to prove it. Senator Obama does not." It's a well-worn theme, but still one he has to successfully sell.

The schtick about not caring who gets the credit for accomplishments in Washington is a little empty if you ask me. It's a great ideal, but seriously, elections (including this one) are always about who can take credit for what. I don't think I've seen one that didn't involve that.

Ouch! The piece about not running to save his country in its hour of need is an obvious direct hit on Obama. We've heard that line from a few people tonight.

The guy next to me likes to let out a really bad "huzzaahhh!!" when he feels like it's a big moment.

I'm sure everyone at home heard the last few paragraphs of the speech, but the applause was so deafening I couldn't hear a thing. I imagine it's tough to keep talking, knowing that no one in the building can hear you but that everyone at home can and that the effect of the applause while you speak makes it that much more electric for viewers at home. It makes me feel a little bit for Howard Dean's "Dean Scream" in 2004.

The speech has been over for 10 minutes and they're still dumping balloons and clapping and rocking out. It's crazy. And the McCain and Palin families have left.

John Boehner is speaking...I guess he's just introducing the pastor who's giving the benediction. I'm not sure how he's going to be heard above the deafening noise of the balloons popping. He's going to try though. Wow. As soon as he started praying, everyone shut up.

Boehner is wrapping up the formalities and it's a wrap.

All in all, not a bad speech by McCain, but I think any bump in the polls he received will be due more to Palin than to him.

I'm heading home.

3 Comments:

Blogger watchman146 declared,

Thanks for blogging through this, Joey! Sounded like you had a lot of fun. I think I liked you blogging through it more than watching it.

Hey, why not put this last post on PoliForum?

9/05/2008 8:36 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I will be, I was posting from my cell phone though so I was pretty limited. With Blogger you can send an email to a specific email address and it converts it into a blog post. I don't know what that email address is for PoliForum, so I wasn't able to post it there.

9/05/2008 1:21 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Oh, and I'm glad you enjoyed the blogging more than the speaking. In light of the speaking I was up against, I don't know how much of an accomplishment that was, but I'll take what I can get!

9/05/2008 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home