This Page

has been moved to new address

Oprah is even more wrong

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Oprah is even more wrong

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Oprah is even more wrong

Yesterday I wrote a post about Oprah saying why she never got married. I said that I disagreed with Oprah and why.

Last night, I got back to my apartment and flipped on the TV. Oddly enough, Oprah happened to be on, and the first words out of her mouth were, "...and that's why I never got married."

The exact lines I'd seen in the ad for her show that led to my post. I had to laugh.

I watched a little bit of the show to see the context in which she made the comment. She was talking to Kristen Armstrong, Lance Armstrong's ex-wife. Kristen just wrote a book, so she was on the show. She was talking about her marriage and said, "I lost myself." She said that she gave up who she was within the marriage. Oprah responded by saying, "That's why I never got married. I never wanted to lose myself."

As if that weren't enough, another author/psychologist who just wrote a book on marriage talked about her failed five-year marriage. "Two becoming one was part of my fantasy, and in doing so I ceased to exist."

How sad is that?

On top of that, Oprah responded to that comment by saying, "It's the twenty-first century and we still think this works."

So, somehow two can't become one in the 21st century?

Pitiful.

"What if [we all just] turned to Jesus / Stopped asking Oprah what to do?"

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Unknown declared,

If it wasn't for my marriage I would be farther away from God. Marriage is the ultimate sanctifier - this is a good thing. I'm with ya Joey!

5/10/2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger Reegz declared,

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/10/2006 1:43 PM  
Blogger Reegz declared,

Marriage is humbling. Marriage is something that forces you to die to yourself. I pray that God can help me to be submissive to Him ultimately and to my husband where I need to be! Help Lord!

5/10/2006 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

somebody should send her a copy of "Biblical manhood and womanhood" by Wayne Grudem a great and detailed explanation of God's plan and purposes for men's roles and women's roles in marriage, and how beautiful and loving the marriage relationship should be of course it is most God glorifying because all His ways are perfect. I wonder if she would read it anyways?.....

5/10/2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I'm reading that book right now. Actually, it may be the follow-up. I believe the first book was written with John Piper, but the book I'm reading was written just by Grudem sometime around 2001.

Either way, it's been excellent!

5/10/2006 5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

He was at Bethlehem Baptist in March, I believe it was, he spoke specifically on that subject and it was soooo good as you know!

5/10/2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

Oh that Oprah just gets better and better doesn't she???? Yag.
Hey, you and Sara (cbass) should meet and share libraries.

5/10/2006 8:23 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

Or am I stirring a pot? Well, that is my high suit I guess, pot stirring.

5/10/2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I don't know, that depends on Sara's library...

5/10/2006 8:40 PM  
Blogger Reegz declared,

It's really sweet. It's got, (no Oprah), Grudem, Sproul, Piper, MacArthur........Lucky!

5/10/2006 10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

hmmm..I have more of a audio library than paper but you know a couple of brothers in the faith Johnny Mac my fave!, R.C, Piper, the good ol'boys spurgeon, edwards, calvin, ryle, the valley of vision is what I am currently reading and let us not forget my dear sisters moore, elliot and tadda! hey and I checked it out, you were right it is "50 Crucial Questions" by piper and grudem.

5/10/2006 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

hey reegz what the heck's goin on! that's funny I just hit "publish" and your comment showed up, too funny! answer your phone!!!!GOSH:)

5/10/2006 10:15 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Grudem, Sproul, Piper, MacArthur, Spurgeon, Edwards, Calvin, Ryle...nice! And you have them on audio? That would be really sweet for the four-hour drives (each way) I often have for work.

5/10/2006 10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

you're kidding right?! 4 hours where do you work maddison...you gotta invest in that $2.05 gas buying program you blogged about a while ago pronto! Yikes, but yes great time to listen to awesome studies. Most the guys I have their cd series, sermons etc. ryle and edwards are printed studies though.

5/10/2006 10:34 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

It's not always four hours. My office is here. But the district I work in takes me as much as five hours away.

5/10/2006 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Wow do you have to travel like that a lot? I don't get district(?), how come you live so far away from your "district"

5/11/2006 3:43 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I work in politics, and the district in which I work is big. Sometimes I have to be down in the Madison area for work. That's the basics...stop me in church sometime and I'll go into more detail.

5/11/2006 4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Actually I don't attend FCC, Bethlehem has been my home church but that doesn't mean I'm not up there hangin out with my sistas! Coffee is good though, plus I'll be at nosers famous pigroast. or "hogturbit" whichever they decided to call it now...

5/12/2006 12:25 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Bethlehem? Sweet! I went there for three years in college. Too much of a drive now, but I still love it. North or Downtown?

5/12/2006 9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Downtown. I just gotta say that the Lord has RICHLY blessed me so much in my worship time with Him at Bethlehem and the preaching/teaching by the elders, guest speakers and other church pastors everyone is under now that Pastor John is away for a while. what college did you attend?

5/12/2006 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home