This Page

has been moved to new address

A new kind of bracketology for 2011

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: A new kind of bracketology for 2011

Thursday, March 17, 2011

A new kind of bracketology for 2011

I'm a huge fan of March Madness. It was always my family's favorite sports event of the year growing up. That first Thursday and Friday of the tournament were the only days of the year where we were parked ourselves in front of the television all day. Everyone filled out brackets, including my mom. I was usually the bracket master, keeping up-to-the-minute tabs on who was leading, who was losing and by how much. And every year, 90% of us picked the North Carolina Tar Heels to win it all. Anyone who picked Duke to even make the Final Four was scorned.

My wife has adopted this White tradition and has actually beaten my bracket 2 years in a row. In fact, 2 years ago she won her company-wide office pool with over 200 entries. She was decked out in Tar Heels apparel for that championship game and cheered every basket along the way as the Tar Heels gave her the victory..

This year I almost forgot about March Madness. We scheduled my daughter's memorial service for day 3 of the tourney and have been preparing for it ever since.

But ESPN, Yahoo! Sports, and CBS all have me on their radar. Their email reminders started coming in, telling me that duty called. 5 tourney invites later, I started to get the message.

So last night, after folding the laptop up and rolling over for some sleep sometime after 2:00, I decided I needed to get back out of bed and forge ahead with a bracket. I can't remember ever not filling one out.

So this year I tried a new strategy. It took more like 10 minutes than the usual 2 hours but involved no sweating out 8-9 match-ups, no Googling to see what the experts think. If my wife can beat me using common sense along with mascots and team colors, I clearly need to adopt a new, less basketball-oriented strategy.

As usual I'll try to check back here over the next few weeks with bracket updates. I have Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, and Florida in my Final Four. In reality I can't imagine a Big East team not making it there but hey, those are my picks and I'm not second-guessing them now!

Good luck to all of you filling out your own brackets! And to any of you basketball fans missing out on tourney action this Saturday to be at our service, thanks!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Bill Roehl declared,

When I was at my last job we were required to fill one out for "fun". I forget what the prize was.

I didn't do it mostly because:

1. I don't think basketball is worth anyone's time.

2. I don't care about who wins a game, let alone a series of games.

3. I was busy doing work.

But there it was, 1 minute before the deadline and I was told I had to fill it out.

I won the bracket thing that year and I only picked like 50%. The guy who was the biggest sports fanatic, and spend DAYS researching his, came in last.

I laughed.

3/17/2011 9:00 AM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

Will I be disowned by the family for picking Duke to win it all? I have them playing UCLA in the final game, how unlikely is that? I use no logical strategy. One of your brothers pointed out that I usually end up in the top three. I don't think that's consistently true, and I'm sure will not hold out this year.

3/17/2011 9:11 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Bill, basketball is worth anyone's time who loves the sport. Beyond that, you're right.

Mom, I picked Duke to lose to Kansas in the championship game. Even worse, I picked them to beat North Carolina in the Final Four. So if you're getting disowned, I'm going down with you.

3/17/2011 9:30 AM  
Blogger Keelie declared,

Joey, I actually said last night as I was "agonizing" over my bracket and spending entirely too much time on it, 'I wonder if Joey will do one this year.' There's a lot going on in your life that has a lot more value, but perhaps you need that one stress free thing. Although, in the White family, I'm not sure brackets have ever been stress free.:) Anyway, I was glad to see your name pop up in our group and it'll be fun to see how your new strategy works out!:)

3/17/2011 11:06 AM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

I have to admit, as I know literally NOTHING about the sport, if I did a bracket, all the teams would be color-coordinated.

3/18/2011 2:15 AM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

Thanks for "going down" with me, Joey. As the boys announced winners throughout the day yesterday my most uttered phrase was, "I don't remember who I picked." But, as is rather typical at this point in the tournament, I'm leading the family.

3/18/2011 8:24 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Mom, I'm in 1st place in 3 of my brackets and in the other I'm in 4th out of 120. I don't think it will last but for now, I'm pretty happy with my method.

3/18/2011 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home