This Page

has been moved to new address

I agree with Nancy Pelosi...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: I agree with Nancy Pelosi...

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I agree with Nancy Pelosi...

...sort of.

She's calling on Bush to possibly boycott the opening ceremonies of the Chinese Olympics.
Pelosi suggests Bush skip Olympic opener

WASHINGTON - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Monday that President Bush should consider boycotting the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics following China's crackdown on protesters in Tibet.

"I think boycotting the opening ceremony, which really gives respect to the Chinese government, is something that should be kept on the table," Pelosi, D-Calif., said in an interview taped for airing Tuesday on ABC's "Good Morning America." "I think the president might want to rethink this later, depending on what other heads of state do."
While I don't necessarily think we need to wait on other world leaders before making a decision, as she suggests, I think there is strong reason (and not just because of the Tibetan violence of late) to boycott not only the opening ceremonies, but the entire Olympics.
The White House has said Bush would not boycott the Beijing Olympics, which begin Aug. 8, because of the crackdown, arguing that the games are an event that are supposed to be about the athletes, not politics.
...
"I don't agree with the perception that is out there that the Olympic Games are this great, unifying, human rights-advocating organization. ... It's a sporting event and it should proceed," she [Pelosi] said.
Sorry, but the Olympics are NOT just a sporting event. They're much, much more than that and were intended to be much more than that.

If we're going to look to other world leaders, a few are already stirring.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy was the first European leader to suggest a boycott of the opening ceremony to protest China's handling of the unrest in Tibet. German Chancellor Angela Merkel is skipping the Olympics.
China's iron fist has only been squeezing harder and tighter since they won the Olympics. This is the greatest stage in the last 50 years for publicly opposing their horrendous human rights record. While I don't think it will happen, I hope and pray that President Bush stands up for what's right.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa declared,

Hey does SeƱor Menor have a blog?

4/03/2008 10:18 PM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

I agree. Boycott those ceremonies!

Funny to check in here and see my cousins name...only I never called him Senor.

4/03/2008 11:28 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I just realized I never answered you Lisa. Sorry!

I don't know if Tony has a blog, but I'll see if I can hunt him down. Maybe my mom can do a little sleuthing :)

4/24/2008 11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home