This Page

has been moved to new address

Learning football positions

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Learning football positions

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Learning football positions

My wife was trying to arrange a swap this evening. "You clean the kitchen, I'll watch your football game and tell you what happens." She was providing hypothetical play-by-play: "Number 87 caught the ball, he's on the 30, the 20, the 10...oh, he fumbled, and it's recovered by a big fat ugly guy, number 1-something."

I told her that a big fat ugly guy would likely have a number starting with something like a 9, not a 1. She asked for more details about what I meant, so I showed her the NFL rules regarding player numbers.
Position(s)
Primary
Alternate
QB, P, K
1-19
RB, DB
20-49
C
50-59
60-79
G, T
60-79
WR
80-89
10-19
TE
80-89
DL (NT/DT/DE)
60-79
90-99
LB
50-59
90-99
She was going through the list of positions and doing a pretty good job of associating the abbreviations with the full position names. "RB, that's running back. WR, that's wide receiver."

Then she said, "TE, ooh, I know that, it's tight end. That's what you are, you're my little tight end!"

Oh boy...well, whatever it takes for her to be remotely interested in football...

8 Comments:

Blogger kristi noser declared,

I guess you can make the sacrifice play huh Joey? Wait, that's baseball...

12/03/2007 3:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

How much into football do you want her to be? If she knew more about football than you, would you be impressed or intimidated?

12/04/2007 2:26 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Impressed, actually. It's cute when she tries to pick up on things and actually sits down and watches it with me. But I like to think I'd be impressed.

Though the more I think about it, I don't know...

12/04/2007 8:32 AM  
Blogger erin declared,

LOL--as a transformed football wife, I say, Well done, J-girl!

12/05/2007 3:12 PM  
Blogger Keelie declared,

I had to interpret the game for a deaf high schooler and I still don't get all of it!

12/07/2007 3:56 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I saw a thing on a deaf football player for Oklahoma State. It was crazy! I can't imagine trying to deal with that three-way communication.

12/07/2007 4:30 PM  
Blogger Kelli declared,

Thanks for the chart, Joey. My son's been trying to get me to understand all of the ins and outs of the game, too.

12/08/2007 6:26 AM  
Anonymous Betty declared,

This is a great article. I've been trying to learn the game/rules of football and instead of annoying my husband with 1k questions, he gave me a book called "A Sportscaster's Guide to Watching Football" by author Mark Oristano. It's really helped me to have a better understanding of the game.

11/30/2009 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home