This Page

has been moved to new address

Why blog?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Why blog?

Monday, June 05, 2006

Why blog?

I haven't been posting as often lately. Work has been way too busy to spend time blogging as often as I'd like.

Something that I've thought about though is what's the point of blogging? Does a blog have to have a specific purpose? For example, should a political blog be exclusively political and never about anything else? Techincally, the blog's owner dictate's the topic. However, in the interest of the reader, it generally helps to keep the same general theme.

I haven't generally gone outside of politics, current affairs, and some Christianity and personal story posts. I try to stay as far away as possible from the 15-year-old MySpace blog types. You know how they go... "Michael looked at me today, but I didn't look back, because I'm playing hard to get, but I like him so much and it's so hard. What would you do?" And then the comments run something like, "Oh Bethany, I so totally feel for ya. Life just sucks sometimes, huh?" Except it wouldn't be spelled correctly and there would be countless acronyms like "bff" or...ah, I don't know them, so I'm not even going to try.

Anyway, that's what I don't want this to be. But I do have a number of family and friends who read it, and they like to see more than, well, dry politics. So I've tried to mix it up as much as possible.

I came across the email I sent out to a number of friends when I first started the blog. It sort of sums up why I started this in the first place.
-----Original Message-----
From: Joey -------
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 6:00 PM
Subject: New blog

Hey all, [what kind of a salutation was that?]

I've followed politics for a number of years now, and I often email stories that I find to friends. I also enjoy reading blogs (those that are political in nature anyway...not personal blogs that go "my name is...I like her but she won't look at me...I had such a bad day today"). As most of you know, I had a column when I was a student in college. I miss having that outlet, so I decided to create one.

If you like keeping up with state and national politics but don't have much time and want my digested version of world happenings, you might be interested in checking out the blog I started. It's called "Wide White," and it's at http://widewhite.blogspot.com/. Considering that politics is my job, I come across a lot of information over the course of my workday, so I figured I might as well help those who don't have the kind of job I h ave and don't have the time to follow things.

Hopefully it will be insightful, fun, and most importantly, time well spent. Let me know what you think!

Joey
So there it is. That's a bit of a summary of why I initially got going with Wide White. It's evolved somewhat in the last four months, though I think it's stayed fairly consistent.

Thanks for stopping by and keeping it going. I've loved the comments and the people I've been able to meet through this venue. I was somewhat nervous about the people I'd meet. I thought they might be a bunch of techie nerds who I'd never want to hang out with. Instead I found that they're a bunch of techie nerds that are actually cool to hang out with. Just kidding. There are a lot of really neat people that I've been able to meet through this, and they haven't been the weirdos that I thought they'd be. Well, not all of them anyway.

Here's to blogging...

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Joey, did you ever think you'd meet a bunch of your brothers/sisters in Christ! That's a testimony right there. You never know what wackos are out there and who they REALLY are....

It was fun hangin' out though.

6/05/2006 8:16 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

Who you callin' a weirdo? Actually I'd rather be a weirdo than a techie nerd. What if someone was both??? AAAUUUUGGGHHHH

6/05/2006 9:19 PM  
Blogger Reegz declared,

Techie nerd? Yikes! What a title! No techie skills here at all! Weirdo-yes (Kristi)! Jesus freak preferrably if we're gonna get all "labeley." I made that word up and probably have a word spelled wrong too. Do you like, totally feel for me? :o)

6/05/2006 9:51 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Okay, being a weirdo does not make someone a techie nerd. However, being a techie nerd most definitely makes someone a weirdo. At least that's my analysis.

And don't call me "Jesus freak." I'd prefer not to be lumped in with that DC Talk crowd that is often very much into labels and very little into actually living the life.

6/06/2006 8:23 AM  
Blogger Mark declared,

I sent out a similiar e-mail (without the whole "I work in politics" thing -- what's with that?!? Okay, so I'd figured out that much on my own, but I'd be interested in knowing how?)

The response I got back was, "What's a blog?" And, "Oh, well, it's good that you're writing more now."

Ah, well. At least you get your family friends to visit...and not for a particular post that happens to be about them in some way, shape or form.

6/06/2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger Mark declared,

"I'd prefer not to be lumped in with that DC Talk crowd..."

Out of curiosity, is that in reference to the band, the Religious Right, or something else I'm just not getting?

6/06/2006 9:32 AM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

For what it's worth, I like keeping up with your blog. I like your take on the current affairs, I like being kept semi-up-to-date, and I like the opportunity to try to keep you in line once in awhile. (I'm sure I should be inserting some sort of emotional symbolthere--and I'm sure there's also an abbreviated name for "emotional symbol"--but I'm not enough of a 'techie nerd' to have figured it out.)

Blogging, it's the next best thing to being there. (If you remember that slogan, you're old like me.)

6/06/2006 10:07 AM  
Blogger Dana declared,

Blogs are a fun way to express yourself and the banter back and forth is priceless. And if you make Reegz's pool a regular stomping ground Matt and I will most likely run into you this summer and then you will have come face to face with more weirdos from your blog world. How fun!

6/06/2006 12:28 PM  
Blogger Reegz declared,

Joey,
I was calling ME a "Jesus freak." I don't think of DC Talk. I think of morelike a fanatic about the things of God. Zeal for thine house has eaten me up!!!!!!

6/06/2006 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

WHAT!? you and Matt are coming here? When? Sweet I can't wait, let's go to Valley Fair hahaha, but not on the throw-up rides:)

oh yeah and I prefer child of God

6/06/2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Stephanie: not everyone working in politics is a politically correct, arrogant, self-serving individual. (Just a few of us ;) Regarding DC Talk, I was referring to the band. I just never cared for them or their message. I felt like they sort of...cheapened the gospel, I guess.

Keithslady: no, I don't remember the slogan. Sorry. I guess I'm not old.

Cbass: just let me know when Valley Fair is happening and I'm in! (Never been there...I know, I know...) And ditto to "child of God."

6/07/2006 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

What!! never been!! well your first time being there you might not want to be thrown up on....no I'm kidding it's a total blast!

However, we might not want to go on the roller coasters that are falling off their tracks.

On the far better side we would be going "Home!" though...

6/07/2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Hey, the worse the roller coaster is, the better if you ask me! I'd love to go to Cedar Point some time.

6/07/2006 10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

heck yeah next time R.C is in Ohio to do a "election" conference we should all go. Forget Valley Fair these rides were totally killer looking one was alomst 100 mph sweeet!

6/08/2006 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home