This Page

has been moved to new address

Singing and adapting

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Singing and adapting

Monday, May 16, 2011

Singing and adapting

A few nights ago I was singing while Jamie was trying to comment on a blog. Exasperated, she finally said, "I can't comment when you sing!"

Now, singing is a habit for which I make no apologies. I spent time this weekend singing with my family and on the drive home I sang with my kids. I grew up in a musical family and while I'm certainly not great, I can carry a tune.

But singing (or music or any other distraction) doesn't work for Jamie when she's trying to concentrate. She grew up in a household where quietness ruled; I grew up in a household where any hope for quietness was futile. She needs to pause the music to read an article; I can read a book with 5 kids playing tag in my living room.

When you marry someone, you inevitably discover that someone else processes a whole lot of things much differently than you do and you have to learn to adapt. Pausing the music isn't a big deal, but things like that can be annoying if you aren't careful.

In what ways have you had to adapt for your spouse? Is there anything you don't think you could give up - even for short periods of time - for someone else?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Bill Roehl declared,

Too many to count.

5/16/2011 7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

After two years of living with Nic, I'm actually paranoid to eat around other people now. You see, if he isn't eating, the sound of other people chewing absolutely drives him up the wall. I'm convinced (unless they are eating too) that it annoys them as much as it annoys him.

5/16/2011 7:44 AM  
Anonymous Brent and Lisa declared,

I gladly gave up my bachelor furniture. Lisa's home furnishings tastes are way better than mine. And she picked out the paint colors too. She's much better organized than I am. Brent

5/16/2011 10:36 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

When I met Pops, the thing that attracted me to him was that he talked to me. Now after 30 years together I understand he just talks all the time--he processes verbally. I just get up early and have some quiet time by myself. Makes the talking time more manageable. But there are the times when he looks at my face and says, "I should shut up now, huh?"

5/17/2011 3:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home