This Page

has been moved to new address

Color blind

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Color blind

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Color blind

I can't count the number of times I've been asked if my twins are two boys or two girls, even when each is clearly dressed in gender-specific clothes. I inwardly roll my eyes and correct the offending questioner. Sure, Keira's hair is just as short as Carson's, but she's often wearing pink and other girly colors.

I was a bit humbled on Sunday when asked if the kids were both boys. We were on a walk with them at Wood Lake Nature Center and an older gentleman with a cane stopped to talk to the kids and briefly chat. He asked if they were two boys and we told him that no, there was a boy and a girl. He then said, "I'm color blind. I suppose that's a pink jacket, huh? It looks gray to me."

We must have responded in a way that made our confusion over his question obvious since he made the effort to explain himself. I was glad he did, but it made me wonder if any of the other people who've asked us the same question weren't lacking in observation but were simply limited in their ability to distinguish between pink and blue.

I roll my eyes easily at how slow I perceive others to be. I need to stop reacting like that. I need to give people more grace. Sometimes they're just color blind. Sometimes they're just not thinking. Either way, it's just not a big deal.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Bill Roehl declared,

Just be glad they stopped to give you the time of day at all. They could have just looked to the ground and kept walking as seems to be the usual case in this oh-so-friendly state.

5/11/2011 7:29 AM  
Anonymous Mindee Woodward declared,

That has been a big joke for us because even our OB didn't seem to notice the big pink bow, pink blanket, and pink clothes of our little girl! Even though she has earrings and use to wear bows, it didn't seem to matter. Because she was bald I guess people assumed she was a boy. Reversly, my friend had a little boy with tons of hair, and everyone thinks he is a girl and it's not even long. I just giggle to myself and feel the SHE is 2! PeoPle just don't think. Brag about the boy and girl twins thing! You're the exception to the rule!!! Come to think of it, that's probably why it gets assumed.

5/11/2011 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Mindee declared,

Oh yeah, and I pretend that the question is the first I ever hears it and answer it as such, because dor the people asking, it is. They don't know you've answered that same question 5 times today. That's what helps me anyways.

5/11/2011 7:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown declared,

Nice. Great day to be at the nature center, huh? I know where that is now. If you'd written this a week ago, I would have been lost.

5/11/2011 9:30 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Reuben, your post was inspiration to go. My mom had just commented on my post on things to do in Minneapolis referencing that place and then your post came up and I decided we needed to check it out.

5/11/2011 9:34 AM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

I'm glad you can post your blunders to help others consider the need for grace and kindness. It's been on the top of my "work on it" list for 9 months and probably will be for awhile.

And I'm glad you got to go to Woodlake Nature Center!! Most of my growing up thoughts and wonderings and pouring out my heart and tears to God took place on those paths.

5/11/2011 9:54 AM  
Blogger Jen and Todd declared,

We get that question, too, but my all time favorite question regarding Ben and Norah is "Are they identical?"

I do like people commenting on them, though, because I'm a proud momma and love to talk about them!

5/11/2011 4:12 PM  
Anonymous Daniel declared,

great post Joey. great thought. well said.

5/11/2011 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home