This Page

has been moved to new address

Why college basketball is better than college football

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Why college basketball is better than college football

Friday, December 10, 2010

Why college basketball is better than college football

This is a topic that is pretty meaningless. Nobody's life is really impacted by whether college basketball or football is better.

But for the purpose of having some fun with it (and maybe get my college football player-brothers to chime in), here are my top 3 reasons:

1. 68 teams from every conference play for the national title in basketball; 2 major conference teams play for the title in football.
2. 1 loss (or 5) doesn't end a basketball team's title hopes; 1 loss usually ends a football team's title hopes.
3. Basketball teams play opponents with a wide breadth of talent; major conference football teams are often afraid of playing a difficult non-conference schedule.

What's your take? Or do you not care about any sport? Is there another sport you like better or are you a bigger fan of book clubs or something else? Is this issue life or death to you? (For my friend who hasn't missed a Nebraska Cornhuskers football game in 8 years, it just might be...)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Chet declared,

While the points you bring up are valid points, they could also be used to argue the other side of the fence.
1. 68 teams playing for the national title is cool, but by the time the final game comes along I'm already almost sick of college basketball because the tournament takes so long! I've only watched a couple national championship basketball, whereas I watch a ton when the field is 64 or 32...
2. The fact that 1 loss ends a fball team's title hopes makes every game mean so much, which fans love! Who would want to miss a game when playoff hopes are on the line every single week?
3. There is more pride in a conference in football than basketball, which is good for that region. People at MTech hate me because I cheer for Wisconsin, because Wisconsin is good in football, not basketball. When Wisconsin beats Michigan in football there is a lot more chatter than when Wisconsin beats them in basketball, because the conference doesn't matter as much in basketball.

Just a few points...I love college basketball, but it doesn't top football.

12/10/2010 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Nascar is the best!

12/10/2010 10:10 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Chet, good point-counterpoint. I agree on the importance of every college football game. The problem comes when that first loss is in one of the first few weeks. The rest of the year is lost as far as national title hopes go.

And while I agree with you on the length of the NCAA tournament, I still say much more engaged than I do in the football title game. I don't remember the last time I watched a college football title bowl game.

And yes, there's more conference pride in football, but that really hurts the teams outside of the big 6 conferences, whereas with basketball everyone has a pretty equal shot.

Ultimately I think it's just a matter of preference.

12/11/2010 12:23 PM  
Anonymous Chet declared,

Okay, fair enough. I do think that college basketball is run better than college football as far as playoffs go. I'm much more excited for March Madness than I am for Bowl Pick 'Em. In the end football can't be topped as far as a sport goes, and the hype that goes into each game is great. At the D-I level though they have got to get the playoff thing sorted out. The BCS is a mess.

12/13/2010 8:35 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I'll agree with you on that, if football would institute a playoff it would take away the issue of one or even two or three losses eliminating a team from being a title contender.

12/13/2010 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home