This Page

has been moved to new address

What does it look like to be the hands and feet of Christ?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: What does it look like to be the hands and feet of Christ?

Thursday, December 09, 2010

What does it look like to be the hands and feet of Christ?

I often hear Christians speak of being the "hands and feet" of Christ. What they mean is that Christians should doing more than just thinking or talking about what we believe. We should be doers, on the ground, helping others.

I heard this phrase again last night in reference to seeing Christians coming to the aid of another Christian in the hospital. I love to see people help others like that, but wondered how often we do that with people who aren't Christians. Are we as quick to assist them when they're in need or do we isolate ourselves in our Christian communities?

Make no mistake, Christians should love and support one another. But I've observed some who prefer to isolate themselves within their Christian communities. They socialize with and help their fellow Christians but rarely interact with those outside of their Christian community. They've created a tight-knit social circle but don't appear to be doing much to spread the love of Christ to others.

This is so sad to me because I don't think it's what Christ wants from his followers.

As I think about what Christ does want from his people, I think about my friend Dustin.

I've been friends with Dustin for three and a half years now. I call him Stupac (or is it Stewpac? It's pronounced like "Tupac"), but that's another story. He lives 3/4 of a mile away and we see each other every week in church and in our small group.

I can't count the number of times I've seen Dustin help friends in our church with their own projects, whether it's moving loads of sheetrock and lumber or helping resolve a mold issue.

But what stands out to me isn't just the assistance Dustin often offers his church friends. Dustin isn't a guy who separates himself from his neighbors. When a snowstorm hit our area last weekend, he took care of multiple neighbors' driveways in addition to his own. These weren't people in our church. They were just neighbors who needed help for various reasons and he met the need. Not only did he meet the need, but he was willing and happy to meet the need - or at least he acted like he was.

We need more Christians like Dustin. There may be a time and a place for talking, but most people's needs can't be met with words. I can tell my jobless neighbor that "Christ works all things together for good according..." or I can just invite him over for dinner and offer to feed him or help pay some of his bills. I think that's what Christ wants from us and I think it's what that jobless neighbor needs most.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous declared,

:)

12/09/2010 8:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown declared,

This comment has been removed by the author.

12/09/2010 9:49 AM  
Blogger watchman146 declared,

At a time of year when we are theoretically recalling the Incarnation of the Word, we would do well to remember that Jesus ascended so that WE could become incarnations of the Word.

Good challenge, Joey.

12/09/2010 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home