This Page

has been moved to new address

How to remember the number of days in each month

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: How to remember the number of days in each month

Monday, November 29, 2010

How to remember the number of days in each month

Memory techniques vary widely from one person to the next. My mom used to use every trick in the book to try to get me to remember seemingly useless information.

One frequently-used technique was poems, often set to little jingles. Here's one that crossed my mind yesterday as I was trying to remember which day this week would be December 1st.
30 days has September,
April, June, and November.
All the rest have 31,
Except for February alone,
And that has 28 days clear
And 29 in each leap year.
I always stop at "November" since I can already easily remember the information in the rest of the poem.

What memory techniques continue to haunt you?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Bill Roehl declared,

I use that calendar one too although in the version I learned the end doesn't rhyme.

I tend to use "righty tighty, lefty loosey" as well.

11/29/2010 8:15 AM  
Anonymous Kandi (Kristi's sis) declared,

I see that I have to get on this blog earlier to comment...Bill took mine. :)
I love the calendar poem - always comes in handy. And I like "righty, tighty," too, except that I didn't really understand it until I was in my 20s. Not a very tool-friendly gal.
For me, the old standby is "i before e except after c."

11/29/2010 9:16 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I use the lefty/righty one too. I think I read something about the "i before e" thing going out of style with teachers because there are too many exceptions other than "c." My brother and dad are both "Keith" and my daughter is "Keira." I still see people who know us well spell her name "K-I-E-R-A." Oh well.

Another tune my mom taught me was far more random.

"Monongahela and the Allegheny form the Ohio."

It's a simple phrase but was set to a silly tune. I was in 6th grade and studying for the state geography bee. Thanks to that, I've always remembered the names of the two rivers that join to for the Ohio River in Pittsburgh.

11/29/2010 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

I've always had trouble with the number of days rhyme too... The way I remember the number of days is to use the "peaks and valleys" of my knuckles... Start with your left pinkie knuckle as January. Knuckles have 31, valleys have 30 (or 28/29). If you put your hands together, you'll see that July and August are the only two consecutive months with the same number of days.

11/29/2010 7:21 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

I used to work with a wonderful, fun nurse, and she taught me this one:

Thirty days has Septober,
April, June and no wonder.
All the rest have peanut butter,
except my Gramma, who has a goiter.

Made me laugh then, makes me laugh now.

11/29/2010 9:27 PM  
Blogger -V- declared,

Spring ahead. Fall behind. (For Daylight Savings). I always used to forget which was which...

11/30/2010 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

I learned a song with the books of the Bible. I still can't find my way through the OT without it going through my head!

11/30/2010 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home