This Page

has been moved to new address

To support or not to support...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: To support or not to support...

Thursday, February 26, 2009

To support or not to support...

Susan G. Komen for the Cure...

There's plenty of controversy in pro-life circles around the fact that Susan G. Komen gives money to Planned Parenthood. I haven't researched it much until now. The only reason I decided to look into it is a charity event I have supported is now giving part of its proceeds to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. That piqued my interest.

Here's what I found:

1. Money is only given from SGK to PP at the local chapter level. From what I can tell, money is not given at the national level. The purpose of the money is to support breast exams, which PP does provide (though there's controversy surrounding whether or not the money given to PP by SGK is actually used for that purpose).
2. The Minnesota chapter of SGK does not give money to PP.

At this point, I don't see enough direct correlation between SGK's Minnesota chapter and PP for me to stop supporting the charity event I have been supporting.

And for what it's worth, here's a new list of companies who show up on one pro-life organization's boycott list for supporting Planned Parenthood:
Corporations appearing on The Boycott List for the first time include BBJ Linen (home products), Carlson Companies (travel agencies, hotels [Country Inns & Suites, Park Inn, Park Plaza, Radisson, and Regent], and restaurants [T.G.I. Friday's and Pick Up Stix]), FastSigns (graphics/printing), InterContinental Hotels (Candlewood, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Indigo, InterContinental, and Staybridge), Midas (motor vehicle care), and Paul Ecke Ranch (poinsettias), among others.

Corporations continuing as boycott targets from the previously released Boycott List include AlphaGraphics, Basics Office Products, Wachovia, Nike, Time Warner (Cinemax, HBO, AOL, etc.), Bank of America, the Dallas Cowboys, CIGNA, Walt Disney, Johnson & Johnson, Lost Arrow (Patagonia, etc.), Chevron, Wells Fargo, Whole Foods Market, and Nationwide (insurance), among others.
If you think it's important to try boycotting all of them, go for it. But I'm not walking through life with a checklist of who not to support.

Yes, it's relevant that the founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure is on the advisory board of Planned Parenthood in Dallas.  There are numerous other facts that are relevant.

But in addition to the fact that SKG-MN doesn't contribute to PP, it's also relevant that many other corporations that we support each day contribute far more than the money that SKG chapters have given to the group.

There's nothing wrong with boycotts and they can be effective (think civil rights movement, boycotts of British goods during the American revolution, etc.).  But I get the feeling with this one that its bark is tougher than its bite.

13 Comments:

Blogger Carla declared,

Susan G Komen gives to Planned Parenthood, the nations largest abortion provider. The link between abortion and breast cancer has been established. Why would an organization that races for a cure for breast cancer support PP which does abortions that can cause breast cancer?
I for one will not support Susan G Komen for that reason. I would hate to think that any money I donate supports the killing of the unborn in any way.
My 4 cents.

Not everyone is even AWARE that SGK gives to PP. So I thank you for bringing this up, Joey.

2/27/2009 9:23 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Susan G Komen branches definitely give to Planned Parenthood, but I couldn't find a financial link between the national organization and PP and the Minnesota branch doesn't give to PP. Does one exist? If so, do you have any links to it?

3/04/2009 3:51 PM  
Blogger Carla declared,

All of my info on SGK comes from Lifenews.com and STOPP(Stop Planned Parenthood)

Even if the Minnesota branch doesn't give to PP you Joey still support SGK which donates to PP, which kills unborn children.

3/06/2009 9:30 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

If a Dallas McDonald's restaurant gives 5% of its proceeds to cancer research, the fact that I go to a Minneapolis McDonald's doesn't mean that I'm supporting cancer research unless the Minneapolis McDonald's also gives 5% of its proceeds to cancer research or McDonald's corporate gives proceeds to cancer research.

That's the analogy I'm drawing off of with it. There's clearly a link between individual SKG branches and PP, but I haven't found a link between PP and the MN branch of SKG or SKG at a national level. But if there is one, I want to see it.

3/06/2009 9:48 AM  
Blogger Carla declared,

There isn't a link that I have found so far.

You support SGK by giving in MN. On a national level they give to PP which kills unborn children. Connect the dots and continue to support the killing. I understand that you are willing to do that because MN doesn't give.

Cancer research can hardly be compared to killing unborn children.

3/06/2009 10:52 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I know, cancer research is very different, but I was trying to use a positive analogy.

Here's my scenario. I'm trying to decide whether or not to support an event that gives part of its proceeds to SKG MN. SGK MN doesn't support PP. 25% of SGK MN funds go to SGK USA. SGK USA does not fund PP. SGK USA's link to PP is that they allow state affiliates to decide whether or not to fund PP breast exam efforts and breast cancer awareness efforts (though there's debate over whether PP has actually used those funds for those purposes). Either way, the funds that go to SKG USA don't go to PP (not that I've found anyway).

I have yet to find any evidence that any of the money I would give in this event would ever make it to PP. If I could find a link, it would certainly change things for me.

3/06/2009 11:12 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

For anyone else looking into this, here's a website that lays out some details:

http://www.bdfund.org/breastcancer.asp

Here some details from that site:


Background Facts: Why is Komen tied to Planned Parenthood?

* Nancy Brinker, Komen Founder, was listed as an advisory board member in the 2002 annual report of Planned Parenthood of North Texas, the fifth largest Planned Parenthood affiliate in the nation.
* In September of 2004, Eve Sanchez Silver, a breast cancer survivor and charter member of Komen's Hispanic/Latina Advisory Council, resigned from Komen, stating, "As a Christian and life affirming citizen I can not reconcile the Foundation's decision to affirm life with one hand and support its destruction with the other."


In relation to PP funding, SGK says their affiliates are permitted to "provide breast health education and screening grants to Planned Parenthood if the grant application was approved through the process".

In short, I can definitely see why people would boycott SGK. PP is a twisted organization and if any of my money were going to them, I would be upset to say the least.

But the only link I can find with SKG USA and PP is moral support from SKG USA's founder, Nancy Brinker. That's no different to me than if the CEO of Target sat on the board of PP. That wouldn't stop me from shopping at Target.

3/06/2009 11:26 AM  
Blogger Carla declared,

Where did you get your info on SGK USA, Joey?

I am not trying to dog ya, but I think you know where my heart lies given my own personal experience with abortion. :)

A couple of years ago Pampered Chef was giving to PP. I refused an invitation. My hostess said that the money does send kids to camp too. I told her that if a million kids went to camp I still couldn't support it if unborn children were killed by abortion.
Pampered Chef cut financial ties with PP after the boycott.

3/06/2009 11:28 AM  
Blogger Carla declared,

Never mind. Saw your link.

3/06/2009 11:29 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

There may be other sources too, I'm still looking.

Part of why I posted this was a.) It's important to know considering the prominence of SGK and b.) To get feedback like yours to help me make a decision. I really do appreciate your input. It's making me think more. :)

3/06/2009 11:32 AM  
Blogger Carla declared,

I blogged about this today.
http://www.outcrywisconsin.blogspot.com

Please know that I appreciate your honesty, Joey. I am glad you are at least thinking about it and researching it. :)

3/06/2009 11:44 AM  
Blogger Carla declared,

I would stop shopping at Target. :)

3/06/2009 12:18 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

If you would stop shopping at Target, then I guess we disagree on how we view what it means to fund something.

My customer doesn't give money to my church by way of the fact that they pay my company company who pays me. What I do on my own time is my business, and the same would go for the CEO of Target as far as I'm concerned.

Where I draw the line is when it's the corporation (or organization) themselves giving that money. That would be my problem with supporting other SGK branches.

3/06/2009 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home