This Page

has been moved to new address

Glad I didn't go to law school

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Glad I didn't go to law school

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Glad I didn't go to law school

There are a lot more reasons than this that I'm glad I didn't go, but this article only helps my case against going.
The United States last week became the world's first nation of 200 accredited law schools, as the American Bar Association gave provisional approval to two North Carolina institutions.
...
It's the numbers at the top that get all the attention: At the largest law firms, median starting salaries were $145,000 last fall, according to NALP, an organization that tracks law placement.

But many students don't realize at first that the high-paying law firms recruit almost exclusively at institutions ranked in the top 15 or so. Overall, the median salary for new lawyers is $62,000. For public interest law jobs, new lawyers can expect about $40,000.

Meanwhile, the average amount students borrow to attend a private law school surged 25 percent between 2002 and 2007 to $87,906, ABA figures show. For public law schools, borrowing averages $57,170.
I'm not complaining about those average salaries, but with where I'm at with no law degree in relation to that, I'm more than happy that I didn't go to law school from a financial perspective, never mind the myriad other reasons that were even more important than finances.

(For those who don't know, I took the LSAT and visited two law schools - Baylor and Texas Tech - and was on my way towards getting through the applications before being sidetracked with a job offer that I decided to take. I haven't looked back from that decision since and though I'm in an entirely new industry now - and enjoy it 100x more - I love where I'm at and what I'm doing and have absolutely no regrets about not going to law school.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Keithslady declared,

I just wanted free wills....

6/17/2008 4:48 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

You've always had free will Keithslady.
Oh wait..that's not what you meant.

Joeywhite, Just thinking about 80 hour work weeks would be enough to deter me.
anyone who ever wathced "The Firm" would never want to be a lawyer!

6/18/2008 4:11 AM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

You know I meant "watched", right?
Although I'm all about making up my own words.

6/18/2008 4:13 AM  
Blogger Jim B. declared,

Ha! I was at William Mitchell for about three months in 2002 on scholarship before I dropped out. I too have never regretted it.

God Bless

6/18/2008 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home