This Page

has been moved to new address

State of the Union highlights

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: State of the Union highlights

Monday, January 28, 2008

State of the Union highlights

My three favorite quotes from the State of the Union address.
Some in Washington argue that letting tax relief expire is not a tax increase. Try explaining that to 116 million American taxpayers who would see their taxes rise by an average of $1,800. Others have said they would personally be happy to pay higher taxes. I welcome their enthusiasm, and I am pleased to report that the IRS accepts both checks and money orders.
This got a huge response from Republicans and dead silence from Democrats. I loved it!
Next week, I will send you a budget that terminates or substantially reduces 151 wasteful or bloated programs totaling more than $18 billion. And this budget will keep America on track for a surplus in 2012. American families have to balance their budgets, and so should their Government.
It's just too bad Bush didn't apply these principles during the 6 years that Republicans had control of Congress.
Last year, I asked you to voluntarily cut the number and cost of earmarks in half. I also asked you to stop slipping earmarks into committee reports that never even come to a vote. Unfortunately, neither goal was met. So this time, if you send me an appropriations bill that does not cut the number and cost of earmarks in half, I will send it back to you with my veto. And tomorrow, I will issue an Executive Order that directs Federal agencies to ignore any future earmark that is not voted on by the Congress. If these items are truly worth funding, the Congress should debate them in the open and hold a public vote.
This is a great first step!

Overall, not an earth-shattering speech. I could dissect it more, but I need to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home