This Page

has been moved to new address

Google amazes me

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Google amazes me

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Google amazes me

My wife sent me a link to a feature on Google Maps called "Street View". (It was unveiled to the public in May 2007 and the Twin Cities were brought on board December 10, 2007.) I love Google Maps and think it's the best map site in existence, but I'd never tried the Street View function. The Twin Cities happens to be one of the locations in the country that Google chose for this feature and it's amazing!!

Here's how it works. You go to Google Maps and find the location you want to go to. As long as the street is highlighted in blue, you can do a Street View. Click the Street View button at the top right of the map and a little yellow man will pop up in the middle of the map. Drag him to where you'd like to see the street view and a window pops up with a view of that street. You can advance about 10 yards at a time along the street and can scan around 360 degrees, as well as zooming in and looking up or down.

Here's an example with the building I work in. Try it out, it's pretty sweet!


View Larger Map

If you click on the picture and drag your mouse, you can move up, down, and around. If you turn it down towards the street, you'll see the arrows that let you move down the street.

Play around and be amazed!

6 Comments:

Blogger watchman146 declared,

that is pretty cool

1/16/2008 2:08 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

That is pretty sweet, I agree. The building in the background--we always call that one the "toaster". So now I can say Joey works by the toaster building and people will know what I mean.
Thanks for that lesson Joey--super cool!

1/16/2008 10:27 PM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

Wow, wow, wow. I love being old so that I can be amazed by the new technology and not just take it in stride. I suppose I feel like my grandparents and great grandparents did when they first got automobiles, electric lights, telephones, and TVs (OK, so the TVs turned out to be more of a curse than a blessing but who knew that then). I hope they don't put our street on there. Then I'll really have to get on your dad to de-redneck the place!

1/17/2008 5:05 PM  
Blogger erin declared,

Too cool. I could play with that for a long time.

1/18/2008 10:03 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I DID play with that for a long time!

1/18/2008 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Is that you standing in the window? Creepy....

1/22/2008 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home