This Page

has been moved to new address

Am I cold-hearted?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Am I cold-hearted?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Am I cold-hearted?

Or am I right in not being emotionally moved by this story of an illegal immigrant?

For those without the time to read the story, Elvira (reminds me of an Oak Ridge Boys song...) Arellano came to the U.S. illegally a number of years ago. She was deported. She came back. She had a kid. Then she was found out and went into hiding in a church. Her son, now 8, became a poster child for why we supposedly need to allow these "undocumented workers" (the nice way of saying "illegal immigrants") to be...well...documented.

No, I'm not brought to tears by the fact that she was deported when she came out of hiding. The fact that her son is still in the U.S. and she can't be with him just doesn't tug at my heart strings. She could bring him to Mexico, but chooses not to. She was often separated from him even in the U.S. as he was being exploited in his poster child status. Feeling sorry for her in this case would be like feeling sorry for a guy who was sent to prison for reckless driving after his 4th excessive speeding ticket.

The law was enforced and he chose not to obey it. Sure, I'd feel bad for his kids, as they're the ones bearing the brunt of the consequences of his actions. But in this hypothetical case and in Arellano's real life case, I don't feel sorry for the individual committing the crime. It's time for the U.S. to buck up and enforce the law or repeal the law altogether.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home