This Page

has been moved to new address

My problem with sperm donation

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: My problem with sperm donation

Friday, August 11, 2006

My problem with sperm donation

This probably seems like a stupid issue to pick on. I should first clarify that I'm not going so far as to say that it's wrong for someone to go through a sperm donor. However, I have serious concerns with it, and here's why.

The idea behind finding a sperm donor is to find the perfect "specimen" (or donor or whatever you call them). The donor gives his profile...height, weight, health condition of his past three generations in his family, job, education level, etc. This is supposed to help you design the child of your choice.

The women who went through sperm donor 3066 decided to meet one another. Apparently two of them had kids with autism and two had kids with signs of autism. This, of course, would NOT be a "child of your choice."

So, what happens when you don't get the "child of your choice"?

Well, here's what happens.
"Pretty much you're thinking this person has a perfect medical history," said Jorgenson, who lives in Sacramento, Calif. "And then later I find out that some of the other siblings have other disabilities that are or are not attributed to the donor. I wouldn't have chose him had I known this had existed."
...
The mothers who used sperm from 3066 said they want more information from sperm banks, not just for themselves but for other mothers trying to figure out why their child is falling ill or acting differently.

"They want to know: `Why did this happen to my child?'" Jorgenson said.
Um, it happened because your specimen child is human. If you want to know more about your specimen's child's biological ancestors, you'd have to have you specimen child the old fashioned way.

I have a problem when we reduce our kids to statistics. It reminds me of Gattaca, and I don't like it at all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Keithslady declared,

I think your 'serious concerns' stem from a 'blaming mentality' that people have with the medical field in general.

"My child wasn't perfect", "You didn't immediately diagnose my condition", "I didn't respond to the medication as you expected", "I had to wait an extra 15 minutes to get for my appointment", "You didn't spend enough time answering my questions"....."AND IT'S YOUR FAULT".

People want an explanation or reason for imperfection. But the real answer will only take you to God and the fall of man. And the only way to living with imperfection with peace and contentment is to be reconciled to God and then live in faith and trust.

So, the issue of where did have of one's genetic coding come from becomes rather insignificant. However, I would still probably go a step further than you and say that I do think it's wrong.

8/12/2006 7:45 AM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

Sorry, "where did HALF of one's...."

8/12/2006 7:50 AM  
Blogger Brandy Dopkins declared,

Gattica- good reference.

8/14/2006 1:06 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Wow, someone else who recognizes that name! I didn't know there was someone else out there.

8/14/2006 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home