This Page

has been moved to new address

What language do you speak?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: What language do you speak?

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

What language do you speak?

It makes sense.

Your Linguistic Profile:
75% General American English
10% Upper Midwestern
5% Dixie
5% Yankee
0% Midwestern


My Mom is a Yankee, my Dad is from Dixie, and I grew up in the Upper Midwest.

When I worked in Yosemite National Park for a summer in college I'd ask campfire groups to guess where I was from based on my accent (or lack thereof). No one ever guessed it (without 5 to 10 tries, at which point they're just shooting in the dark).

H/T: Randomview.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keithslady declared,

Those who research speech say that the wiring in our brains for language and accents are set between the ages of 3 months and 3 years with some changes (within the gross language category--ie between regional sounds in a language, but not between say English and Chinese sounds) occurring even into adulthood. So with your mom's combined accents of California, Minnesota, New Jersey, and England and dad's Carolina/Wisconsin blend it's no wonder you don't fit a set mold.

8/09/2006 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home