This Page

has been moved to new address

I can ski...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: I can ski...

Monday, May 29, 2006

I can ski...

...but I now need a new back.

I went skiing this weekend for the first time since...well, before high school. So, in effect, it might as well have been the first time ever.

I got up out of the water on the third try and didn't do too badly. I face-planted once in choppy waters. But then, that was partly because I refused to stay inside the wake. It's too easy to just sit and go straight. You have to cut in and out. That's just part of the fun.

Of course, when you're inexperienced AND you're cutting in and out, you're bound to fall.

I decided to go a second time before we left. The skis fit okay. I have size 14 feet, but was able to fit into the skis on the biggest setting. However, one ski wouldn't go on straight. I promptly fell trying to straighten it out while skiing in glassy water. I was frustrated enough with myself and the ski at this point that I was unable to get up out of the water on the next two tries. I finally calmed down and got out of the water just fine. I was mad at myself (and the ski, though it was probably never the ski's fault), so I went around the lake a second time.

Bad idea. I only did it to prove a point to myself that I could go around without falling. I proved my point.

My back also proved a point. It had been a little sore anyway, and it really, really hurt the last time around. I'm pretty sure I strained something, because I couldn't fall asleep last night for the longest time thanks to the pain, and it still hurts today.

Oh well. Hey, I proved my point to myself!

I also have yet to perfect the landing. Rather than gliding to a stop, I tend to glide to a plunge. I let go of the rope, glide 20 feet, and bail. I don't wait to sink. I bail. The first time I bailed head-first. The next few times, I just sort of sat down with a thud.

Hmm...I'll just have to work on that next time. Guess I'm not much for performing. I'm more in the business of entertaining those unfortunate enough to have to watch.

8 Comments:

Blogger Billiam declared,

Are you talking water ski? I tried that once when I lived in La Crosse. All I got from it was two pulled groins, and I also pulled all the muscles in my forearms. Kept forgetting to let go of the rope every time I fell! LOL

5/29/2006 2:44 PM  
Blogger Mark declared,

lol I've never gone skiing. Either on water or snow. It really just doesn't seem worth it and this post just emphasizes that point.

5/29/2006 4:38 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Oh, I'd say it was worth it for sure. It's just going to take a few more cracks at it before I can enjoy it without any unenjoyable baggage.

5/29/2006 4:40 PM  
Blogger Phelony Jones declared,

I have long feared that I would end up doing cartwheels across the lake. Now, let me clarify: I cannot do cartwheels on solid ground!

5/29/2006 8:01 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

Billiam, you have two groins? You should be in the Guinness Book!

5/29/2006 8:15 PM  
Blogger Reegz declared,

Hey, I think Billiam deserves a "here's your sign" for the "are you talking water skiing" comment. Take it away Kristi!

5/29/2006 10:50 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

No, I meant snow skiing, it IS Wisconsin after all...here's your sign Billiam.

5/30/2006 2:29 AM  
Blogger Billiam declared,

Hey! You can water ski here! C'mon, cut me some slack! As to snow skiing, you've read of my "success at water, you think I'd try the frozen stuff? I'd rather go sky diving again and re-crush my tailbone!

5/30/2006 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home