This Page

has been moved to new address

Responding to awkward moments

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Responding to awkward moments

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Responding to awkward moments

I visited the church I grew up in while back visiting family this weekend. It's a small church with a new pastor who's bringing in some new songs.

One of the songs we sang was 3 verses long and the words just didn't match the music. Picture lyrics with a rhythm of 8/8/8/8 set to music with a rhythm of 6/6/6/6.

Yeah, it didn't go over so well.

What was great, though, were the reactions of those around me.

My brother-in-law quit singing halfway through the second verse because he was laughing too hard at everyone trying to fumble our way through it.

As soon as the song was finished my brother next to me muttered, "Well, that was a good try."

Right behind my brother was my grandpa, who was sitting behind me. I could hear him say under his breath, "That went over like a lead balloon."

And of course, my dad, who was leading the singing but didn't choose the song, was polite and didn't say anything.

But I loved the moment. Polished is good, but sometimes it's good to just go with the flow and see what happens. Sometimes the flow is smooth and other times it hits some crazy rapids and you just ride it out. When the canoe tips over, you can't do anything but laugh.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home