This Page

has been moved to new address

The bucket list

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: The bucket list

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The bucket list

I saw a bucket list someone posted on Facebook recently. It was a pretty awesome bucket list.

I started thinking about what I would put on my bucket list. What do I want to accomplish before I die?

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I don't have anything to put on a bucket list.

Maybe I'm too practical about how I look at life. The way I see it, when I'm dead, there's nothing I'll be missing from this earth. I won't be around to look back and wish I'd taken a trip to Australia.

To be sure, there are things I want to do while I'm alive. I want to love my wife and kids with everything I've got. I want to love other people better than I do now. There are places I'd love to go.

But if I find out tomorrow that I've got 6 months to live, I don't think I'll be booking any trips to Costa Rica. I don't foresee bungee jumping or skydiving.

I think I'll just keep living, maybe travel to see some friends and family, and would probably be a better person for those 6 months than I am now.

How about you? Do you have a bucket list? If so, what's on it?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Bill Roehl declared,

I have some things I'd like to do in my life (like visit Russia, the Greek Isles by boat, and ride the world's fastest trains) but it's not something I'd need to do if I was diagnosed with terminal cancer this afternoon.

10/20/2010 8:13 AM  
Blogger watchman146 declared,

I don't have a bucket list. I have problems with assuming that death is the end of our experiences on this world.

Yep, I went there. Consider this thread hijacked.

10/20/2010 8:24 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

@Bill, I never thought of riding the world's fastest trains. That would be pretty awesome.

@watchman, Hijack away! :)

10/20/2010 10:27 AM  
Blogger watchman146 declared,

The notion that this life and this world is completed at the time of our death or at the time of Jesus return is something that is not necessarily Biblical. I do realize that one strain of Evangelical Christianity tends to see the future in such a way, but this is not the only way to see it.

I prefer to believe that God has never given up on his creation. Therefore, instead of the wholesale destruction of Earth being the End, I believe the world will be renewed - changed to become, once again, the very good work of God's creative ability.

So, instead of mourning the passing of this earth, we look forward to its perfecting. Instead of thinking of our earthly opportunities as finished once our death occurs, we look forward to a renewed time of opportunity on a perfected Earth after the Great Resurrection.

Maybe my lack of a bucket list means I am just lazy. Or, maybe I am looking forward to opportunities that exist outside of the bounds of this life.

Sermon finished.

World Without End.
Amen.

10/21/2010 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home