This Page

has been moved to new address

To tweet or not to tweet

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: To tweet or not to tweet

Sunday, January 10, 2010

To tweet or not to tweet

I ran a post back in April called "Why I don't tweet." I resisted Twitter for a long time.

My primary reason for not tweeting was:
Could my life possibly be interesting enough to warrant "tweets" every two hours with a maximum of 140 characters letting everyone know...well, nothing, really.

For me, the answer is a clear and resounding NO!!

(NOTE: if I am tweeting in 2 months, this post can and must be held against me...)
Well, that post can be held against me. You can find me at http://twitter.com/onejoey.

I first opened a Twitter account this summer because my pastor started tweeting and I wanted to follow him. I hardly used it for my own posts for a number of months. A few things have lead me to increasingly use Twitter.

1. I don't post updates every 2 hours and don't follow those who do. Like Facebook updates, it's pretty worthless if you waste your time with that.
2. It's a great way to follow the news. I subscribe to a few news sources that post headlines with links to their stories.
3. It's a great source of comic relief. I follow a few comedians who help brighten each day.
4. I get spiritual encouragement from my pastor and others who I respect.
5. Organizing those I follow into lists and using HootSuite has helped keep it simple and reduces potential for a lot of noise.

Those are the first 5 reasons that come to mind anyway. I do follow a few friends too and use it to a small extent as an alternative to Facebook status updates, but that's not the majority of my usage so far.

And I haven't started using it to drive traffic to my blog. Hmm...I may have to try that next.

I just have to make sure it doesn't turn into this:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anne declared,

Joey:
I love your blog. I DO think you should use it to drive traffic to your blog. But Joey-I thought you were in Burnsville-unless my computer is way off it isn't yet 5 am.

1/10/2010 4:53 AM  
Blogger Steve Quist declared,

I just wanted to comment on number 1 of why you do Twitter because it made me smile. You said you don’t follow those that Twitter constantly. Have you offended somebody yet by not regularly following their tweets? I had a friend who posted something about the Vikings at one point. Then when he brought it up weeks later and I said I didn’t know what he was talking about, his response was I tweeted it, don’t you follow my tweets? Ah, well, technically I am “following” you, but…

1/10/2010 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Bill Roehl declared,

Loving that you used Twitter to pimp this post :)

1/10/2010 8:17 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Anne, you're correct, I posted this around 3 AM. In an effort to hide how much of a loser that makes me, I changed the time from 2:59 AM to 7:59 AM. In reality, that makes me more of a loser than I already was. (I had a good excuse for the late night: I was working on uploading a video I made for my brother's wedding and it was taking a few hours longer than I would have liked.)

Steve, I haven't offended anyone that I know of yet, but I'm confident that I will at some point. I don't expect someone to follow me just because I'm following them and don't expect them to hold me to that standard.

Bill, I learned from the best. :)

1/10/2010 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Hi Joey
Nothing wrong with being up at 3 am posting. I love your blog and I see that NASGA posted - wow. Way to go! Guardianship is a hot topic and more people should pay attention. Thanks for bringing up the subject.

1/10/2010 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home