This Page

has been moved to new address

Chill out

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Chill out

Friday, August 18, 2006

Chill out


I've had enough of politics for one week. I'm sick of politics. Why? That's not the question. Rather, the question is, why not? What is going right at the moment?

Let's face it: Republicans are a wash right now. I'm fed up with them. Do I want them to maintain the majority this fall? Yes. But that's primarily because I don't want to have a Howard Dean on the Supreme Court in three years. We elected the current batch of Republicans in Congress on a socially conservative platform. Let's be honest: without social conservatives, Bush wouldn't be in office, and neither would many others. They're some of the hardest-working volunteers. They don't have money, but they do have time to give.

But what has that socially conservative platform gained us? Roe v. Wade is still law. Every anti-abortion amendment and law gets shot down in the courts. Gay marriage is legal in one state, but has remained illegal in all of the others. What have you gained from the social conservative platform?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a social conservative. I haven't given up on overturning Roe v. Wade. I'm not sure I could support a pro-abortion candidate. I believe abortion is murder. What I'm saying, though, is there is a whole lot more to government than just social conservatism.

Like fiscal responsibility. That's a term Republicans in Congress have never heard of.

Or how about enforcing our laws? Do Republicans know what it means to do that? Because from what I've seen, they're just playing politics with issues like illegal immigration, worrying about how their positions may influence various demographics such as the Hispanic vote.

Can we please quit worrying about what the latest polls say and whose feelings might be hurt by our next statement and just do what we do because we believe it's right? Can we act on a principle for once?

My little brother (pictured at the top) needs assistance to survive at this point in his life. In fact, being that he has down syndrome, he may need assistance for the rest of his life.

The Republican Party seems to think that the rest of us are like my little brother; we are helpless infants. In turn, we need to be helped by those who are "smarter" than us. We need to be educated concerning reality, because as political infants, our brains must be hard-wired by the Republican Party. We're stupid to think that border security and illegal immigration crackdown is necessary. We're idiots for thinking that federal programs should be cut. Those are "system errors" - much like a baby failing to find the toilet (or even know what a toilet is) - that must be corrected.

Well, I don't need the riff-raff of, "Our polls say this, therefore we must do that." What I do need is for you to get a backbone.

I think my little brother sums up my feelings better than I could.

No, I don't know what he really means either. But then, does anyone know what the Republican Party means these days?

Didn't think so. Which is why I'm going to step away from politics for the moment and just chill out.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Burton declared,

You are too young to be burned-out cynical husk.

8/18/2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

Your brother is the sweetest looking little guy!
Really, Joey, Jeff wanted to say HUNK, he just spelled it wrong.

8/19/2006 5:25 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

It's only temporary, Jeff. Only temporary doldrums...

Kristi, I sure hope he didn't mean hunk. I'd be worried.

8/19/2006 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Joey-

If you need to get away - you know where we live. :) I think your uncle K needs some downtime too - maybe y'all could go do something? Except for talking about politics and blogs (kidding).

Have a good weekend!

8/19/2006 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

My nephew Gabe is the cutest! :) Love him!

8/19/2006 7:15 PM  
Blogger Reegz declared,

Eat more dessert Joey. That always seems to cheer you up! A night out with friends and a lot of laughter! :o) Press on brother! I love the pictures!

8/19/2006 8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

I wish I could make that face at people sometimes and get them to laugh back at me. Thanks for the smiles Gabe.

8/20/2006 1:15 PM  
Blogger Carla declared,

Hey Joey,
Gabe is the cutest! Thanks for sharing.
Not ALL pro-life legislation gets shot down. Check out Lifenews.com and take heart.

8/20/2006 6:13 PM  
Blogger Billiam declared,

Cute kid Joey. What happened to you? LOL

8/21/2006 8:06 AM  
Blogger Brandy Dopkins declared,

I was having a conversation with someone who is wonderfully passionate about what she does for the GOP. Her sentences were mirror images of the ones she said during the last election I worked with her on, along the lines of "This is the most crucial vote we've ever had". Mind you, she is not just parroting party lines, she really is authentic in her zeal.

All I could think was, “how exhausting to live from election to election in a repeat of the same”. And doesn't she notice?

8/21/2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

It is exhausting to live that way every two years, but for some people, that's really all they live for.

8/22/2006 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home