This Page

has been moved to new address

Another Katrina lawsuit...but this one has some validity

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Another Katrina lawsuit...but this one has some validity

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Another Katrina lawsuit...but this one has some validity

I'm very hesitant to support any lawsuit and honestly, this is no different. The wrong can't be righted, so why make it an issue?

Still, I have to agree that this was pretty ridiculous. Do you remember this woman?



It's the woman from Hurricane Katrina who had died slumped over in her wheelchair and was left there, just outside the convention center with just a poncho covering her face, for four days (along with a body that was in a bag next to her).

Her son is suing the city and state.

I intended to read the article and post this as a scathing criticism of another frivolous lawsuit. However, as I read the article and tried to put myself in his shoes, I think I'd have been pretty upset over some of the details. Sure, she was 91 and was probably about ready to die. It just seems like there are details that should have gone differently. Way differently.

I still don't think he should sue. I just don't think it's right. It accomplishes little or nothing. But you've got to admit: if you were in his shoes, you'd be pretty upset too.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous declared,

I'd be very upset but mostly just sad..good post today joey. love you!

8/18/2006 12:58 AM  
Blogger erin declared,

It's sort of callous for you to say that she was "probably about ready to die." How do you know? I happen to know some REALLY old and healthy people (older than 91), who would TELL you they're ready to die, but it's sort of a stretch for you to say that about some guy's grandma, because, yes, he's probably pretty upset at the disrespectful way his family was treated during the storm. As for whether or not he should sue, I'm indifferent. I would be devastated to see photos like that of my grandmother, and to be honest, I'd find someone in the media to sue because it's in plain bad taste to publish photos of dead people after such a disaster.
How's that for a rant?

8/18/2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

That's a rant! But if you'd read the story, you'd see that she was on a feeding tube and bound to her wheelchair. I don't think she was very healthy. I didn't mean "ready to die" in the sense that she was prepared, but "ready to die" in the sense that without modern advances, she probably would have been dead a long time ago, and would have died fairly soon. That's the vibe that I got from reading about her in the story anyway.

8/18/2006 10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home