This Page

has been moved to new address

State Convention

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: State Convention

Saturday, May 20, 2006

State Convention

I'm at the Republican Party of Wisconsin State Convention in Appleton at the Paper Valley Radisson.

It's been so-so, overall. I'm hoping for thunder and lightning this afternoon. (In other words, I'm hoping Tommy Thompson announces he's running for Senate.) However, that's likely not going to happen. I've even heard rumors that he's going to no-show. I have my doubts as to the truth of those rumors, but you never know....

Props go to Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner for talking about pretty much nothing but illegal immigration. He actually compared hiring illegal immigrants and paying them their small salaries in cash to nineteenth century slavery. I can't say I'd personally go that far, but I do love the fact that he doesn't mince words on the issue. I got to meet him too, which was an honor. (I've got to thank AG candidate JB Van Hollen for introducing me to him.)

Tom Petri was rather lackluster. He's not much of a public speaker. He made a comment about how we need to keep our focus on making sure the Democrats don't gain control, talknig about the "what if" of having a "Chairman Kerry" on a given committee or a "Chairman Kennedy." I think he was trying to deflect criticism over the fact that he's in a very safe Republican district and is hardly a conservative. I think his conservative rating is something like 60%. In any event, a lot of people got up to stretch during his speech.

The afternoon should be good. We'll get to hear from Mark Green, Paul Bucher, JB Van Hollen, and hopefully Tommy Thompson.

I'll post more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home