This Page

has been moved to new address

Yahoo! goes multi-cultural

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Yahoo! goes multi-cultural

Friday, May 19, 2006

Yahoo! goes multi-cultural

I suppose it makes sense that Yahoo would want to go multi-cultural. I mean, the internet is available to everyone, so from a business perspective, it makes sense to market to everyone.

However, I found this photo interesting. When I went to sign in to get my email today, I found this picture next to the "sign in" box. It was part of a big ad that read, "Sort work messages for your 'Later' file".

I have a few thoughts on this.

First, they must be trying to encourage the notion that Muslim women can be in the professional world checking email at work too.

Second, they must assume that these Muslims live in the desert. I can't figure out what else that would be in the background.

Third, they must not be very good at profiling their ads toward geographic regions of the country.

I think the first thought is the most accurate. It's another example how giant companies like Yahoo! are showing their "diversity" (their definition, anyway, which excludes those deemed too "conservative" or "radical" for their tastes) by normalizing something that for most Americans isn't "normal."

I wonder what marketing guru came up with the idea? I wonder what his/her major in college was? I wonder how old he/she was? I wonder how much he/she makes? I wonder if he/she would be offended by me calling him/her "him" or "her" because it shows that I recognize that there is such a thing as gender.

Hmm... I wonder...

8 Comments:

Blogger Carla declared,

I think it looks like a kid wrapped in a towel at the beach. Or a bear eating a monkey.

5/19/2006 12:28 PM  
Blogger Reegz declared,

I bet under that towel she's got a side ponytail goin' on....

5/19/2006 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

I think the photo is from a photo contest they did awhile back, for whatever that is worth.

5/19/2006 3:12 PM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

I'm with Carla, I immediately thought it was just a little kid at the beach wrapped in a terry cloth towel. Then I thought, "Where is going with this Muslim stuff?" Really Joey, you've got to stop thinking so politically all the time if you can't even recognize a common summer pass time.

5/19/2006 10:24 PM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

Oops, that should be "...where is HE going with.."

5/19/2006 10:25 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Little kids at the beach don't wrap the towel that tightly. And they don't need to check email at work.

5/20/2006 1:08 PM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

You're stubborn. Mom's are the one who wrap the little kids like that 1) because they shiver when they're wet (even on warm days) and 2)it's cute. The ad was about sorting work stuff for "Later" because you'd rather go to the beach than read work emails.

And Muslim women don't use terry cloth.

5/20/2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I'll give you the terry cloth. That threw me off at first too. However, I figured that if it was making a point about being at the beach, they would have panned out further and made it obvious.

Ah, I don't even care anymore. It is what it is.

5/20/2006 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home