This Page

has been moved to new address

Life isn't fair, and that's okay

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Life isn't fair, and that's okay

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Life isn't fair, and that's okay

This comes via email from my grandpa, better known by his 34 grandkids as "Papa."
Rules Kids Won't Learn in School

Rule #1. Life is not fair. Get used to it. The average teenager uses the phrase "it's not fair" 8.6 times a day. You got it from your parents, who said it so often you decided they must be the most idealistic generation ever. When they started hearing it from their own kids, they realized Rule #1.

Rule #2. The real world won't care as much about your self-esteem as your school does. It'll expect you to accomplish something before you feel good about yourself. This may come as a shock. Usually, when inflated self-esteem meets reality, kids complain that it's not fair. (See Rule No. 1)

Rule #3. Sorry, you won't make $50,000 a year right out of high school. And you won't be a vice president or have a car phone either. You may even have to wear a uniform that doesn't have a Gap label.

Rule #4. If you think your teacher is tough, wait 'til you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure, so he tends to be a bit edgier. When you screw up, he is not going ask you how feel about it.

Rule #5. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping. They called it opportunity. They weren't embarrassed making minimum wage either. They would have been embarrassed to sit around talking about Fifty Cent all weekend.
Not exactly oozing with what you'd call "compassion," but the point being made is good. It speaks to the truth of many in my generation.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous declared,

this is so funnny...Rule #1 was my dad's famous phrase for us kids growing up..."Jamie, what have I always told you?" (I pause, sadly knowing exactly what phrase I am about to repeat) "Life's not fair...(droning voice, followed by a pouting posture as I walked away dissapointed)" Ah! Those were the days! :)

5/03/2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

LOL. Funny remembering things like that from being a kid. Nice visual image...I can almost see the sulk on your face. :-)

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie posted something like this too.

5/03/2006 1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

Somehow i got into this blog Joey and spent about half the day reading this. That's the positive side of retirement, but I still enjoy preaching the Word of God.

5/03/2006 3:29 PM  
Blogger Jeff Burton declared,

My new stock response to my kids when they say "That's not fair." is "You are right!!!!"

5/03/2006 4:25 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Good answer. Sounds like something my mom would say.

5/03/2006 4:28 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

I always told my children to find the verse in the Bible that said life would be fair and I would let them have their way.

5/03/2006 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home