This Page

has been moved to new address

Are you a RINO?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Are you a RINO?

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Are you a RINO?

I've had enough of the term "RINO." You know, "Republican In Name Only."

It's juvenile, and I've had enough of hearing people use it.

I'm one of the more conservative people I know. I've actually used the term before. So why not use it anymore?

Because, I've realized that I don't own the term "Republican." I know what I think a Republican is and should be. I know that Olympia Snowe - a liberal U.S. Senator from Maine - doesn't fit my idea of a Republican. However, the Republican Party of Maine seems to support her. They're the ones who are responsible for nominating her and ultimately giving her their stamp of approval in the general election. Who am I to say that the entire Republican Party of Maine isn't Republican in practice? Do I disagree with them? Absolutely! But that doesn't mean that they're not Republican.

I guess my view started changing when I talked to a staunch conservative Republican from Arizona who fully supports John McCain. And he's not the only conservative from Arizona to say that. McCain is untouchable in Arizona. Neither party can get away with criticizing him. And conservative Republicans there love him.

So, why should I be so arrogant as to call McCain a "Republican In Name Only?" If that's the case, why can't a "real" Republican seem to beat him in Arizona? Why doesn't a "real" Republican even try?

Because, he's a Republican. Republicans have a majority in the U.S. Senate because there are Republicans like Olympia Snowe and Arlen Specter and John McCain. I often disagree with them. But the Republican parties in their states continue to support them.

So, until I'm willing to actually challenge any of them to prove their status as Republicans is bunk, I'm not using the term "RINO."

Oh, if you think someone is a RINO, do what Wisconsin Republican Senate Majority Leader Mary Panzer's consituents in Wisconsin's 20th Senate District did to her. She ticked off the Republicans in her district enough that she lost in the 2004 primary 80%-20%.

If you want to call someone a RINO, do what now-20th District Republican Senator Glenn Grothman did: prove it.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris declared,

RINO RINO RINO RINO RINO ;) you know me joey I just like being an ass lol

I have also tried not to use that term much anymore it has lost any true meaning Do I think people like Dale Schultz dont share my beliefs when it comes to government yes but maybe he is a real republican and I am the weird one.

I just tell people I am an conservative not a republican. or a Stormtrooper if you will lol.

4/27/2006 11:23 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

LOL. Thanks for the laugh Chris. I'm with you - I'm a conservative. I work within the Republican framework because their grassroots activists best represent what I believe. However, if there ever comes a day where I think they've strayed too far - and I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen - I have no inhibitions about pulling a Reagan and jumping parties (not necessarily to the Democrats).

I love Zell Miller, but I think he's wrong to stay a Democrat just because he's always been a Democrat. Oh well, at least he doesn't blindly support other Democrats.

4/27/2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger Mark declared,

"I know that Olympia Snowe - a liberal U.S. Senator from Maine - fits my idea of a Republican."

I take it you meant:

"....[does NOT] fits my idea of a Republican."

4/27/2006 4:15 PM  
Blogger Mark declared,

BTW, good for you! Now if you'd just abandon your Republican party loyalties altogether...
;-)

4/27/2006 4:25 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

LOL...thanks!

Party loyalties? Since when did I have those? Participating in local party politics (to a certain extent - I'm still not actually a member of the party) does not mean I have "party loyalties."

4/27/2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger Mark declared,

My bad. You've come across as a stronger Republican than that. But, if you're not actually a member of the party I fully and completely apologize!
;-)

But I bet you won't vote for Hillary either...

4/27/2006 11:57 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

I suppose at this point I'm a believer that if you want to get involved in politics, you have to get involved at the party level, because there really isn't any other option except for issue advocacy. I do agree with the Republican Party most of the time, and I could see becoming a member of the local party, because that's really where things happen anyway. But the local party is where it stops. It's highly unlikely that you'll see me getting involved in party politics at the statewide or national level.

4/28/2006 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home