This Page

has been moved to new address

Call me retarded

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Call me retarded

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Call me retarded

The other night, a good friend and I were talking and he said, "That's retarded."

I didn't think much of it. Do I use the word "retarded?" No. Do I like the word? No. I think the use of the word - similar to saying, "That's gay" - simply reveals your intellectual integrity.

However, I don't get all bent out of politically correct shape over it. So, I thought it was odd when he immediately stopped with a look that said, "Did I seriously just say that?" And said, "Dude, I'm sooooo sorry!!"

He then repeated that apology a few more times, like I should have been put off at what he said.

It took me a while to figure out why he was so apologetic this time. I have a three-week-old brother who has Down syndrome. Apparently, until three weeks ago, I had no reason to be offended by the word "retarded."

Now, I should be horrified at the use of the word.

I'm not.

Last week, a radio host was fired after calling Condoleezza Rice a "coon" on the air. Upon using the word, he immediately apologized, and spent the next twenty seconds saying, "I am totally, totally, totally, totally, totally sorry for that."

In case you weren't counting, that was 5 totallys. He was still fired.

Now, I like Condoleezza Rice, and I don't like the derogative use of the word "coon" any more than I like the "n" word. Having said that, have we gotten so politically correct that we can't allow for even one mistake?

I appreciated the fact that my friend apologized. He said he's trying not to use the word "retarded" in the way he did anyway, regardless of my brother.

Having said that, I felt no need for him to apologize. I wasn't offended. Being a white male conservative Christian [chauvinist bigot he-man woman-hater racist pig] who not only chaired a conservative organization and Bible study while I was in college but also had a column in my student newspaper and was (and still am) politically active, I've been called just about everything. Most of it, I'd never actually write or say.

However, that's how those people felt. Why should they apologize for that? So what if I think they're intellectually deficient for using their chosen words? Since when did my opinion become a universal code that everyone else must follow, lest my feelings be hurt?

My friend apologized for using the word "retarded" because he genuinely felt bad about using the word. That St. Louis radio host apologized because he was genuinely sorry for what he'd said. Hey, I'm glad both of these people realized that what they said wasn't appropriate and apologized immediately.

But you won't hear me asking for an apology for something someone calls me. I'm sick of our culture trying to keep people from saying what they think. People should love one another, and if they don't, I'd rather they be upfront about it rather than playing nice because their culture demands an apology if they don't.

So, call me retarded. And while you can assume that my respect for any intellectual integrity you're trying to pass off will be a bit degraded, you can be sure that I won't demand an apology.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark declared,

I understand where you're coming from (though I highly suspect this: "chauvanist bigot he-man woman-hater racist pig" is totally inaccurate). Using derogatory words like that is inappropriate, but NOT using those words should be a matter of someone being educated ABOVE that sort of thing (kind of like your friend sounds like he's trying to do), not because of the pressure to be politically correct.

If someone thinks "retarded" is an appropriate insult, than I'd rather know that up front, than have them interact with my children and put them down in other ways (like how they actually treat them) even if they use all the politically correct words around them.

(For Joey's readers, I am the mother of three boys with special needs, two of which may actually be "retarded" but it's too early to tell. I use "special needs" instead of "disabilities," because I recognize that my children have abilities that most kids their age don't, while lacking abilities that most kids their age do have...and thus their abilities are different not "dis.")

3/30/2006 9:40 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Stephanie is absolutely correct. The point here isn't that people refrain from saying things out of a need to be politically correct. They should refrain from saying certain things because they're better than that, and if they're not, they should be honest about that.

Regarding changes in language, Andrew, I think you've got a point, but I do think there's something to be said for understanding where a word IS, not where it WAS.

A reverse example would be the word "sucks." Twenty years ago, it had a much more overt sexual connotation attached to it. Now, everyone uses it, like saying, "That stinks." You use the term "sucks" around my dad, and you'll most likely be chided for it.

So, what do you do? I think it's best to simply be above reproach. In other words, if it doesn't really need to be said, just don't say it.

3/31/2006 8:27 AM  
Blogger Billiam declared,

I found it telling that a guy gets fired for his Condie remark, even after immediately apologizing, yet Sly in madison (that's lower case for a reason) calls her an Aunt Jemima and barely gets a pat on the hand.
That being said, I take little offense at most of what I'm called. After all, I drive semi. I get called lots of things! LOL

3/31/2006 11:35 AM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

I think if all people thought like you, this world would be a better place, although my daughter thinks you're retarded.

4/03/2006 5:42 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

I hope you know that was a joke...

4/03/2006 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home