This Page

has been moved to new address

Super Bowl 45 wrap

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: Super Bowl 45 wrap

Monday, February 07, 2011

Super Bowl 45 wrap

First, THE PACKERS WON!!! I'm still basking in it. My kids' first Super Bowl and it was a blast!

Second, can we please stop using Roman numerals and just use the numbers? It sure would be easier than running through my mental "I, V, X, Let Caesar Destroy Mountains" routine.

Ok, onto my non-football Super Bowl wrap.

The national anthem was pathetic. I'll give Christina Aguilera credit for wearing clothes that actually covered her for a change, but her failure to remember the words to the song she was there to sing was almost as bad as her awful embellishment of the song.

The halftime show was mediocre. Props to the NFL for at least trying to entertain us with contemporary music. I'd had enough of the guys whose last big hit was 20-40 years ago. But it sounded like they used volunteer sound mixers.

My favorite commercial was Motorola's "Empower the People." As a big Android fan who likes to poke fun at iBots (people so crazy about Apple they see no wrong in Steve Jobs' machine) I loved it. Android has its flaws, as does any OS, but I love open source!

The funniest commercials were Bridgestone's "Reply All," Doritos' "The Best Part," and Coca-Cola's "Border." This top 3 says more about the lack of great humor than it does about the quality of the commercials. "Border" really wasn't so much funny as it was just good, much better than most of Coca-Cola's recent efforts.

The worst commercials went to Groupon's "Tibet" and Pepsi MAX's "First Date." The only thing worse than Pepsi MAX's male stereotype was Groupon's misguided (to say the least) use of the plight of the Tibetans to advertise its product.

The cutest commercial (do I lose my man card by having this category?) went to Volkswagen's "The Force." It already had 13 million views on YouTube before the Super Bowl even started. Great commercial, even for those of us who aren't Star Wars fans.

The best one-liner was at the end of Best Buy's "Big Game Spot with Bieber and Ozzy." Ozzy Osbourne asks, "What's a Bieber?" A disguised Justin Bieber responds, "I don't know, kind of looks like a girl." As a bona fide Justin Bieber anti-fan, I love the self-deprecation. Maybe the guy isn't all that bad.

There were a few I really didn't get. Audi's "Release the Hounds" seemed way over-done. Stella Artois' "Crying Jean" made absolutely no sense to me.

There were others that were good but this is more than enough analysis for Wide White.

I'll leave the best summary of the night to a kid from Green Bay.
Ryan Hatzenbeller, 24, of Green Bay, took off his No. 21 Charles Woodson jersey and waved it at traffic bare-chested.

"Dude! It's Green Bay, Wisconsin! We won the Super Bowl! We've got nothing better to do!" he shouted at a reporter over the din.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Keithslady declared,

It was the only pro game I watched all season and I didn't go away disappointed! Spot on with the National Anthem. Didn't see the half-time show or many commercials but that Tibet one was just bad. We all got VERY bored during one very long car commercial trying to guess what was actually being advertised and then missing the punchline during a yawn.

2/07/2011 8:09 AM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

OK, we just went back to watch your picks and realized we'd seen most of them. I didn't get the Motorola one at the time, just caught the 1984 book part. Loved the border guys and Bridgestone. I didn't see all of the Darth Vader one last night but I won't take anything from you for calling it the cutest!

2/07/2011 8:19 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

You may not have seen all of the Darth Vader commercial simply because they cut out part of it last night. I believe it was only 30 seconds last night, whereas the YouTube clip that's been circulating is a full minute long.

2/07/2011 10:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown declared,

I think the Groupon one is actually great, but I'm not sure it's the best way for them to drum up business. To me what they are getting at makes more sense if you watch this one too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6rZz1wOtTw

They're pointing out things that are "hip" to care about and saying "look, we know what you really care about is getting a deal on a luxury item. Biting commentary :) it would probably go over better if it wasn't a commercial.

2/07/2011 11:09 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

"It would probably go over better if it wasn't a commercial."

Exactly. I'd never seen the rain forest ad. I can't say I like it much better. Judging by the number of dislikes they're getting on both ads, I'd say they were huge flops.

2/07/2011 11:58 AM  
Blogger Rach declared,

I agree on all counts, except for the most important one. I'm a Bears fan so I don't think I could ever enjoy a Packer victory. My husband, however, was ecstatic! If our Bears/Packers disagreement continues to be one of our main "arguments," I'll consider us very blessed. ;) I 100% agree about Roman numerals....ugh.

2/07/2011 7:53 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Rach, I think I'd like your husband. :) My wife is a Vikings fan and I grew up in a split household (Dad a Packer, Mom a Viking). And yes, if that's the biggest issue we have, we've got it pretty good!

2/07/2011 8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home