This Page

has been moved to new address

The birth control didn't work...

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Wide White: The birth control didn't work...

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The birth control didn't work...

My wife and I spent this last weekend babysitting four kids age 1 to 7. We were told it would be nothing short of effective birth control by a number of people.

After 44 hours with the kids, I can't say that the supposed "birth control" was effective. In fact, my wife and I both enjoyed the opportunity to see how we operated in that environment and we both want kids just as much as we did before.

We both had fun seeing how the other one handled various scenarios. One scenario played itself out a number of times and we reacted very differently. Example: E takes a toy from or otherwise interferes with the normal course of the life of K. K screams (actually, shrieks is closer) in response. My wife's response was to reprimand E for interfering with K. My response, however, was to K for the screaming.

Me: "Are you hurt?"
K: [through tears] "No."
Me: "Then should you be crying?"
K: [through tears] "But he - "
Me: "No, should you be crying?"
K: [muffled response, head hanging, as tears slowly subside] "No..."
Me: "Okay..."

From there I'd either steer her to ask E to stop what was being done or to come to a grownup to resolve the problem. Once that was done, I'd respond to E and tell him to quit bugging the snot out of K.

My wife wanted to know why I didn't respond to E first since he initiated the whole thing. My response was that if I did that, K would learn that she could get what she wanted (an adult to ream out E and get him to stop) by screaming and crying. I didn't want her learning that screaming would accomplish anything with us. The tough thing about watching those kids for an extended period of time is that I don't know how her parents respond, but when you're babysitting, you effectively have to start from scratch with the "rules" for those two days and kids know it.

That's just one example of a number of them that came from two DINKs who had two whole days with nothing to worry about besides taking care of the kids. I think we learned two things. First, we're going to love being parents! (At least we think we will.) Second, we've got a ton to learn still!

Anyway, thanks to J, E, K, and C for being great this past weekend! We love you guys!

14 Comments:

Blogger Carla declared,

Great Job, Whites!! I loved seeing you, Joey in church with one sweet pea in each arm! :)

2/12/2008 2:31 PM  
Blogger Jeff Burton declared,

So are you guys available next weekend?

2/12/2008 2:40 PM  
Blogger -V- declared,

You guys looked REALLY natural with those kids... sounds like you did a great job too! Congrats! Time to pitch the birth control out the window? ;-)

2/12/2008 6:19 PM  
Blogger kristi noser declared,

Nice job Joey. Your parenting skills have a good base--no doubt gleaned from watching your parents' skillz.
I have to admit you kinda got me with the title. I thought you were gonna tell us something different.
We will be the first to know though, when that happens, right?

2/13/2008 3:49 AM  
Blogger Joey declared,

No, Jeff, not next weekend, but a little more advanced warning and yes, we're available!

Vonda - on second thought, I don't think I'll respond... :) (But nice try.)

Kristi - not quite the first, but it'll be out here soon enough.

2/13/2008 11:26 AM  
Blogger Keithslady declared,

I'm guessing that along with Terry and Landy I'll be the first. And, no, I'm not bugging you or hinting at anything, you two just keep living your life as God directs and I'll keep enjoying the ride.

btw, your parenting style is vaguely familiar.....

2/13/2008 12:04 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Thanks Mom. I like you! :)

2/13/2008 12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown declared,

Way to go Joey!

But I've learned that once you think you've got them kids figured out you learn they are one step a head of you, constantly morphing and pushing new buttons you never thought you had.

2/13/2008 2:26 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Thanks Pat, and you're right, 2 days is just a mere glimpse!

2/13/2008 3:03 PM  
Blogger Carla declared,

So far, your technique works for Sarah!! :)

2/14/2008 1:59 PM  
Blogger Joey declared,

Nice! Go Sarah! (Or is that "Go Carla!"?)

2/14/2008 2:41 PM  
Blogger Kara Jo declared,

I'm with Kristi--you got us all excited again with that title!

And good job with the Crim Critters. I was thinking about you all this weekend and wondering how things were going. Sounds like you and Jamie handled things beautifully and kept your sanity intact. Bravo!

2/14/2008 2:57 PM  
Blogger NoOtherName declared,

Thanks, you two, for being awesome parents for our chitlins last weekend--I didn't worry once (except about whether you'd want to have kids yourselves after watching ours!)--glad you were undeterred.

The kids clearly had a good time--they have mentioned you guys several times since Sunday. And thanks for the good idea on how to deal with them when one is reacting to another--I'm pretty sure we are inconsistent in this area and probably just get after whoever is being louder or more obnoxious at the moment.

I am just so glad you two found each other...what an awesome couple you are! Thanks for blessing us with your time and love for our kids.

Can't wait to return the favor...

2/14/2008 3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous declared,

DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN (just babysit ours!) :) Aunt Kari

2/18/2008 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home